Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soldier Decorations

Article about: I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my grandfather and his time in the war. I just received his file from MOD and am very much looking forward to translating it! I have his demobil

Default Soldier Decorations

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my grandfather and his time in the war. I just received his file from MOD and am very much looking forward to translating it!

I have his demobilization form which has the following listed for decorations.

Soldier Decorations

I also have two of his original bars (pretty sure these are the only ones he had).

Image.jpg

I know some of the medals like the Monte Cassino cross, but not sure why there are two ribbons for it on his bars. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me figure out what everything is that's listed in his decorations and what else he might have received over the years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

?

Hello Chris
    Medals from the document:

Soldier Decorations
    BRKZzM:BCMS:Bronze Cross of Merit with Sworth,

Soldier Decorations
    MWojsk:AM:Army Medal,

Soldier Decorations
    OdzKMC:C.Monte Cassino:Cross Monte Cassino,

Soldier Decorations
    GW 1939-45:THE 1939-45 Star,

Soldier Decorations
    G.IT:It Star:Italy Star.

Best wishes
    Artur

Thanks Artur! I'm assuming the next couple lines are just a translation then and not additional decorations? One last question, I think the one ribbon on his bars in the second picture is for the Cross of Valour. Would it be possible for him to have been awarded this medal, but not have it listed on his demobilization form?

Thanks
    Chris

Hello Chris,

I would like to make an alteration to the photograph that Artur has posted for the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords the one Artur has posted is post 1989.

The one shown below was made in region for the 2nd Corps

Soldier Decorations

Also if you have noticed only the British 1939-1945 Star and Italy Star have been mentioned and not the Defence Medal.

With regards to the KW (Cross of Valour) the PISM holds all the recommendations for the award, but it would mean a visit to the Institute in London to look through all the files and then there is no guarantee that you would find it.

Alternatively you could ask the Archive Staff to look for you, but they do charge £25.00p up front with no guarantee of finding anything.

If you do decide to visit the PISM you would need to book a seat in the reading room.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. Chris yes you are correct that the bottom 2 lines are a translation.

Thanks Andrzej!

I'm actually fortunate enough to have my grandfather's Cross of Merit with Swords and it looks exactly like the one you just posted. Sadly, when my grandfather passed away in 1985 my mother and grandmother decided to bury my grandpa with all of his medals except this one. I'm trying to replace them, but I know that I'll never be able to replace his Monte Cassino Cross (at least I do have his certificate).

I looked on the PISM site and hope someone might be able to answer a couple questions for me. Is the only way to get in touch with them through regular mail? Is there any additional information they might potentially find?

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your post, unfortunately nowdays a letter is the best way of contacting the PISM Archives, in the past when the Archivist was Rtm. Wacław Milewski (1980-1989) you could telephone because at that time there was not a demand on their time has there is today.

The current Archivist is Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz who now has an assistant to help with the ever growing demand for information.

Chris do you have your Grandfathers Legitymacja for the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords

Soldier Decorations

This is what it looks like, the PISM has the lists of those awarded the KZzM in all three classes Z (Gold), S (Silver), B(Bronze) in the 2nd Corps. So even without the Legitymacja you should be able to find the date his award was promulgated.

Therefore if you decide to visit the PISM you would have to book a seat in the reading room or pay the £25.00p for the Records search with no guarantee of finding anything and await a reply which could take upto 6 months.

You would also be able to look through the files for the award of the Army Medal to see what date he was awarded it and find the Legitymacja Number if you do not have the original.

When looking through the register of awards for the Polish Forces in WW2, a word of advice take your time to familiarise yourself with the Longhand writing used.

Also do not miss the chance of looking around the Museum on all the floors, to see what they have, but this is only a small amount of what they store or lend to Museums in Poland.

Best wishes

Andrzej

TMZ
    ?

Useful information you can get by visiting PISM is to find the unit diaries for the person in question. These are fairly easy to find (if they exist). You may then get lucky by looking through for the specific name being mentioned or you may be able to cross-link to the MOD papers by order number.

Some of these diaries are online at the PISM website.

PISM Archive, Documents C will give you a flavour of what you might find.

Thanks to both of you, Andrzej and TMZ!

It might be a while before I make it to Poland from Canada! Just about to start a family in a few months and so I might send PISM a letter to see what they can dig up! Hopefully, it might include some information on his Cross of Valour!

I did receive my grandfather's Legitymacja for the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords from MOD just a few days ago, along with a few other papers. There was a Deklaracja, a Karta Imienna, his Zeszyt Ewidencyjny, and what appears to be a single-page summary of the Zeszyt Ewidencyjny booklet. I'm hoping to get my aunt's help with translating everything in the next couple weeks.

I know this might be getting a little off-topic, but is there any way of finding out what happened to him immediately before he joined the Polish II Corps? I know that he was in Polkowo before the war and he was taken to somewhere in Siberia for forced labour. He was then released and allowed passage to join up with the Polish II Corps where he would join the 3DSK. Is there a way to know where he was sent in Siberia or the path he would have taken to get to the rest of the Polish II Corps? Also, is there any way to find out how he would have gotten to Canada after the war?

Thanks for all the help! I'm so glad I joined this forum and am getting to learn so much about my grandfather!

Chris

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your post, the PISM is located in London near the Albert Hall opposite Regents Park. if you do send a letter asking them to undertake a search for your Grandfather remember that they would require payment in advance with No guarantee of finding anything.

Chris can you send me a private message.

Best wishes

Andrzej