Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.

Article about: Hello. After my search in the forum here, I'm thinking this CoM is made by Spink & Son and has the correct ribbon. What irritates me however is that the medal has no maker mark on the ba

Default Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.

Hello.
    After my search in the forum here, I'm thinking this CoM is made by Spink & Son and has the correct ribbon.
    What irritates me however is that the medal has no maker mark on the back like the others.
    Therefore, my question to more experienced collectors like me, is this CoM good or not?
    Please your opinion about this silver Cross of Merit with Swords.
    Thank,all comments are welcome.
    Regards,Jannis.

Hello Jannis, your cross is a genuine Spink, but of later production. Possibly also struck in white metal alloy rather than silver. Spink used various marks, or none at all. Placement of marks also varied. The earliest crosses had carefully cut out rays between the cross arms. See side by side comparison below to an early cross. If you look closely you'll notice that even the sword grip segments were individually filed to separate them. Production quality declined over the years with poorer materials used and less care taken in the details. Lastly, the box doesn't appear to be a standard issue Spink type, at least the earlier ones. Is it Spink marked in the liner?

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.   Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.  

Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.   Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony.
    Firstly, many thanks, for your excellent and analytical comment.
    I was also troubled by the rays, but you gave me the answer.
    The photos are from the auction,if I get the medal, will make better photos add it here.
    As for the box, I believe it is not his own, but for the French Legion of Honour.
    By the way, the auction was in the French Ebay,my winning bid 87 Euros.
    I think is a good price.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,Jannis.

Hi Jannis,

You’re most welcome. 87EU for a silver Spink KZzM is a sharp buy for sure .

Now, to find the gold and bronze classes to complete your set!

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.   Spink silver Cross of Merit with Swords.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne