Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Syrenka" arm patch introduction

Article about: Hi chaps, When was the "Syrenka" arm patch of the II Polish Corps officially introduced? Cheers

Default "Syrenka" arm patch introduction

Hi chaps,

When was the "Syrenka" arm patch of the II Polish Corps officially introduced?

Cheers
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: "Syrenka" arm patch introduction

Hi Stefan,

The insignia was initially approved by the Command of the Polish Army in the East (Armia Polska na Wschodzie) for use by APW units on Dec. 31, 1942. Subsequently re-approved for the Polish 2nd Corps on March 6, 1944.

Just to add some colour to this thread here is a small sampling of some of the variations the syrenka insignia is found in. The blue ones are worn by 2nd Corps Base personnel.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Syrenka" arm patch introduction   "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  

Attached Images Attached Images "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  "Syrenka" arm patch introduction 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

One more interesting item to add. This was listed on ebay back in 2006 which I unfortunately missed out on. Included is the seller’s description which sheds some background history on the piece.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Syrenka" arm patch introduction   "Syrenka" arm patch introduction  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks Tony, any idea why the Warsaw mermaid was chosen apart from it being the symbol for the capital of Poland? Or maybe that was the reason?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hi Stefan, my apologies for missing your question of 16 months ago. I've never found out the reason why the Syrena was chosen. It could very well be because of it being the symbol of Poland's capital. I can imagine it serving as an objective that was held dearly by Anders, that his troops would one day march in a victory parade in a free Warsaw. Perhaps someone may know the real reason and can chime in.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

hello, can i have a rating for these sirens? original ww2?

I like them. In my opinion they are both genuine.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Default Syrenka - Symbol of Warsaw and the 2nd Polish Corps

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    (...) I've never found out the reason why the Syrena was chosen. It could very well be because of it being the symbol of Poland's capital. (...)

Cheers,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

This is a few years old post but let me ad some info on the Syrena/Syrenka. We don't know why the Syrena is the symbol of Warsaw either.

There are three mermaid (syrena) statues in Warsaw, on the Old Town Square, Świętokrzyski Bridge and on Karowa street. The original Syrena stands in the Historical Museum in Warsaw. It was crafted from bronze by a famous Polish sculptor Mrs. Ludwika Nitschowa as per the request of Stefan Starzyński, the president of Warsaw, in 1938 and it was raised in April 1939.
    It’s a reminder of Krystyna Krahelska (a.k.a Danuta), a girl scout, and a poet, who modelled for Syrenka from 1936 to 1937. Krystyna was a nurse in the Warsaw Uprising. She got shot in the chest while she was taking care of wounded soldiers from her platoon in the evening of the 1st of August 1944. She died the next day and was buried in the backyard of a house at 36 Polna street. Krystyna was awarded the Cross of Valour posthumously.
    Her remains were exhumed in early 1945 and buried in Służew Cemetery on Renety street, Warsaw.

By the way, Ludwika Nitschowa, born Kraskowska, was born in 1889 and she died in 1989.

Krystyna Krahelska exhibit at the Warsaw Rising Museum, Warsaw

Cheers,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 09-20-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add more info.

?

hello, you know this siren version?
    model produced in italy?

?

Hi Mittra,

I'm of an opinion that it's a post-war variation hand made by Women's Auxiliary Service in Italy.

Best,
    Kosa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast