Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tobruk Group

Article about: Thanks Tony for your comments. Now I have the badge in hand what is the best way of finding out if this is tarnish or the silver plate rubbing off a fake? I thought a touch of silver cleaner

Default Tobruk Group

Gentlemen

I like this group - what do you think? Is the Tobruk badge OK?

Unfortunately the original paperwork has gone adrift

Many thanks for your comments

All the best

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tobruk Group   Tobruk Group  

Tobruk Group  

?

Default Re: Tobruk Group

Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade Badge looks fine ...
    There is a list of recipients of the badge somewhere (Possibly the PISM), so there is a chance to ID the soldier via the number.

Gary J.

Wow Gary, that was quick thanks. And thanks for the positive response too. I can now start the negotiations. I will enjoy doing the research too. All the best
    James

A couple more pics of the badge - awarded to Tadeusz Wos. Sappers I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tobruk Group   Tobruk Group  

Tobruk Group  

?

The group looks like it's been in a box for 60+ years ....
    The medals are fresh and unmounted, ...... some close up's of the KW medal would be good to see.

Gary J.

?

Tadeusz Wos 1917/162 St.Sap 3rd Baon sap. KW.

Hi James,

I just thought that you might like to know the following information that I have found out about Tadeusz Wos:

Tadeusz Wos was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 13664 whilst serving with 3rd Capathian Engineers Bn.

Whilst serving in the Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade in the Engineers Company he was one of 278 Other Ranks with 7 Officers.

Can I assume that you purchased the group in the UK if so there are records for 2 Tadeusz Wos's;

Number 1: Married Hilda Denise Collett in Buckinghamshire in 1947, Hilda Died in 2003 in Chiltern Busckinghamshire.

This Tadeusz Wos became a Naturalised British Subject on the 27th June 1972, whilst living at Flat 29, Thornbridge House, Thornbridge Road, Iver Heath, Bucks, London Gazette Number: 45760, Published on 24th August 1972 Page Number 10155.

Number 2: Married Emily Louvain Wright (Born in 1916) and Died in Uttlesford, Essex in 1986, this Tadeusz Wos Died in 2002 at Braintree, Essex.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    . . . Is the Tobruk badge OK?
    Probably OK, but in post #4 there appears to be either some patina or what looks like wear to the crescent moon and bayonet handles. There’s also some of this brownish residue visible on the reverse as well. This badge is stamped from .800 silver, so of course there should be no wearing through of silver plating exposing brass substrate.

I suspect it is just some patina, although it does look suspiciously like wear to the high points exposing brass.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Probably OK, but in post #4 there appears to be either some patina or what looks like wear to the crescent moon and bayonet handles. There’s also some of this brownish residue visible on the reverse as well. This badge is stamped from .800 silver, so of course there should be no wearing through of silver plating exposing brass substrate.

I suspect it is just some patina, although it does look suspiciously like wear to the high points exposing brass.

Regards,
    Tony
    Fair comment Tony, it has been lying in a box for many years so I think it is just patina. I'll drop it in a jar of silver dip and see what happens and let you know.

You really don’t want to be dipping that badge into anything James As far as the sellers claim it’s been sitting in a box for many years, that may or may not be true. I’m always wary (and weary) of cobbled together groupings, and there’s really nothing about this one that suggests it’s any different. In fact, there’s circumstantial evidence suggesting that it is a put together lot. But there’s way to prove one way or the other, and it’s really a moot point as the individual pieces all look genuine.

T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast