Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7

Article about: Dear All, Following the success of the various “encyclopedia” like threads focused on researching Regimental Badges and Eagles – I think it would be good to invest some time to research / in

I’ll contribute this unusual variant of the PSZ volunteer insignia, previously posted in the Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2 thread. It was among the items that belonged to Lt. Ludwik Witkowski which are examined in that thread. This patch differs from the standard pattern in several respects, among them the crownless eagle and rounded corners. I suspect this patch was produced in North America, based solely on circumstantial evidence as there no extant information about it. Even the Kmetowicz reference, which remains the only book devoted to covering the PSZ North American recruitment mission, pictures the standard pattern volunteer patch.

The first time I had seen this variation was at time of acquisition, and since then found a period photo of a 1st Armoured Division lance corporal which has this insignia applied to his battledress blouse.

The familiar standard volunteer insignia pattern, with this one being for French volunteers in the Polish Air Force in the UK:

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Really nice detail on the embroiding of those patches.

Here is rarely seen "Polska YMCA " patch on a female BD.
    Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7

Default 3rd Carpathian Rifles Div. / 3 DSK (Dywizja Strelcow Karpackich) cloth insignia

Posting this link to a discussion on the 3DSK insignia which contains numerous examples of genuine variants. Posted below is the "official" Palestine made version:

3rd DSK (Dywizja Strelcow Karpackich) cloth insignia

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-23-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: add title to post
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

This awesome little presentation album belongs to a member (whose name I forget) that posted it elsewhere on the forum. I saved the images and just stumbled across them on my computer. They're worth re-posting here as we have original period examples of 2nd Corps insignia accompanied by an interesting description:

(click on photos to magnify in new window)

Note: insignia shown upside down:

Cheers,
    Tony

Bullion thread 8th Army patches anyone? Here's a sampling of the weird and wonderful I've picked up over the years:

(click to enlarge)

Regards,
    Tony

A quick pic of some other 8th Army shield variations:

Regards,
    Tony

Wow! Your collections are just too fantastic! Thank you for showing them.

The Polish Red Cross patch written in Polish was great to see.

Tony, your collection never ceases to amaze!

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Fellowes
    Volunteers from Belgium
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7  

Does anyone have this version of the Canada/US volunteers patch that they can post?

Regards,
    Tony

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast