Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What can you tell me about this? (Inhereted item)

Article about: Im not sure if im the right place of the forum. Please feel free to move the thread if i am. Does anyone know what this was used for?

Okay, I have a plausible explanation now

In charge of Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia was Gauleiter Albert Forster who went about Germanising the territory by indiscriminately registering thousands of Poles as Volksdeutsche regardless of any German heritage. So much so that his counterpart in the other annexed Polish territories complained to Himmler that Forster was registering everyone without regard to racial policy. Himmler naturally ignored the complaints.

Forster's Volksdeutsche registration policy could explain your grandfather's conscription into the German army.

I think the abbreviation "T.O.P" could be "Tajna Organizacja Pomorska (Secret Organisation Pomorska) ” a very shortened abbreviation of Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa Gryf Pomorski. (Pomeranian Griffin)

The Pomeranian Griffin organisation was created on July 7, 1941 in Czarna Dąbrowa near Bytów.

The Pomeranian Griffin's leader was a Lieutenant Józef Dambek, and he was killed by the Germans in 1944 so this could be the reason for the 1944 date and not the Warsaw Rising as I first thought.

There was a TOW or Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa (Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa)

All supposition I know, but I think T.O.P - Tajna Organizacja Pomorska is a plausible explanation to the armband.

What do you think?
    Last edited by StefanM; 03-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Its well known some younger Poles were forced in german service under gunpoint, many of them escaped to join the Polish Forces where ever they could. Even if his records go against this idea, then maybe it belongs to another relative and he kept it in honor. Do you know more about your family in sense of having Brothers/Sisters other relatives of Fighting ages in WWII?

The symbol for Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa Gryf Pomorski was a griffin, not a eagle. So one would expect a griifin on the armband.
    If he was still in german army in 1945 how and why would he have this "armband " dated 1944 ?

Willkott
    ?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    What do you think?
    First of all i want to thank you for taking your time digging up this information.

I think that you could be right about T.O.P. The timeframe and location where they operated seems to be correct. And if I understand correctly they were separate from the AK hence not having the initials on the armband.

He had 2 brothers in Poland which he had contact with after the war.

Willkott
    ?

That's a good question. Did TOW have any official insignias other then the armband itself? Are there any examples?

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    The symbol for Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa Gryf Pomorski was a griffin, not a eagle. So one would expect a griifin on the armband.
    If he was still in german army in 1945 how and why would he have this "armband " dated 1944 ?
    I am not sure you are right but the TOW Gryf Pomorski symbol could well have been the Griffin as this was the symbol of Pomerania however I think the pinned paper Polish eagle was added to the armband as being symbolic of the "Niech Żyje Polska"or "Long Live Poland!" slogan and I think the armband may have had these slogan's added after the war and the 1944 date added as part of commemorating the leader of TOW Gryf Pomorski who was killed in 1944 rather than wearing it in 1944.

I also don't believe the printed paper eagle would have been worn on the armband in daily use as it would have been torn or ripped off very easily, IMO also most likely added after the war.

Of course all of the above could equally be simple hogwash....but I would nevertheless be interested to learn for sure what alternatives the abbreviation "T.O.P." might represent?

Towarzystwo Ochrony Polakow ?

Towarzysze okradaja Polske.

Yes to most of above post,I agree, however griffin was the symbol for TOW Gryf Pomorski.

"Towarzystwo Ochrony Polakow" is this how you meant it? "The Association (or Society) for Protecting Poles"???

"Towarzysze okradaja Polske" and this? "The Comrades are Robbing the Poles"?????

Did either of the organisations you mention wear such armbands and have a specific connection with the year 1944 as marked on this armband?

Last edited by StefanM; 03-21-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2