Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

What I have here

Article about: What I have here ? Any help would be appreciated

Default What I have here

What I have here ?
    Any help would be appreciated

What I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have hereWhat I have here

?

Default Re: What I have here

Hi mate.

Im not up to speed on Polish stuff, but, to me, it looks like you have a few Polish cap badges, (the eagles), BUT, I will gladly stand corrected on that point by others more knowledgeable than me.
    What you also have is a BRITISH shoulder tab for 16th/5th Lancers - the brass "16/5L". Not sure if this a pre WW2 or WW2 shoulder title though as the regiment was formed in the early 1920s from the amalgamation of 16th The Queens Lancers and 5th Royal Irish Lancers, so could be from any period from about 1922 to about 1954, although, personally, I would edge towards the earlier period from about 1922 to about 1941 ish as, after this time, metal shoulder titles had generally been replaced by cloth ones in the British army
    In 1954, the regiment was re-styled 16th/5th The Queens Royal Lancers and in the early 1990's was amalgamated with 17th/21st Lancers to form "The Queens Royal Lancers"

Hop that this is of some help

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 02-03-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Addition/Grammar

Thank you Ian

The 16th/5th Lancers title is the type introduced in 1922 when they were formed. It was worn by ORs, a slightly smaller version existed for officers and WOs. As far as i can tell from my references, these styles were used until 1954, with versions in anodised aluminium existing towards the end.

Rob

Thanks Rob

Any opinions regarding the Polish insignia ?

Quote by lah79 View Post
    Any opinions regarding the Polish insignia ?
    Hi lah, you have:

- wz.39 pattern hat eagle of the cast type used in the Polish 2nd Corps, probably originating in Palestine / Near East
    - small beret / GS / FS cap eagle made by J.R. Gaunt & Son, London
    - 3rd Capathian Rifles Division badge made by F.M. Lorioli, Rome

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne