Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a Spad

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen. Well my first Cockpit Clock (French) arrived today. Some may remember that in my very first post I indicated one of my main hobbies was collectin

Default Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a Spad

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen.

Well my first Cockpit Clock (French) arrived today. Some may remember that in my very first post I indicated one of my main hobbies was collecting antique clocks. This almost fits the bill - though I admit to having several pocket watches.

Again, the weather really prevents me from showing it to it's full potential, but I will take additional ones when it improves.

It is an Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock, Swiss Made. It measures 65mm in diameter - yep you better believe it, it's huge! It weighs in a fairly hefty 200gms. I've had it running for 7.5 hours and any time lost can be measured in seconds. You will note that it never had a loop through the stem, though I have to be honest and say I'm not sure about the originality of the minute and hour hands, though these vary widely in the ones I've seen. Certainly they are 'of the period' but I tend to think they were added a little after the war.

Unfortunately there are three hairline cracks to the dial, but are not really noticable unless you are looking for them. There is the number '3' engraved on the rear of the case - if anyone is able to assist in giving some idea what this may mean, it would be appreciated.

I believe that it would be found in the cockpit of a Spad. The red writing reads: Property of military aviation.

Please enjoy - I know I am!

Cheers
    Tim

[Update 22/11/13: I've had this running since it arrived. It loses approximately 4.5 mins a week. Pretty damned good me thinks!]

Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a SpadAllion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a SpadAllion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a SpadAllion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a SpadAllion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a Spad

The picture of the final one is from an horology website. Note the hands.

Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a Spad

[Edit - arrgh! Can't delete the final picture - sorry - it shouldn't be there - ignore please!]
    Attached Images Attached Images Allion a Versailles Cockpit Clock - probably for a Spad 
    Last edited by Allegra; 11-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.

nice watches.or clocks!