Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B-17 with exotic painting

Article about: I share with you some photos of a Boeing B-17 bomber with an exotic and unusual camouflage. Does anyone know if this plane entered service and what the function of this painting? I count on

Default B-17 with exotic painting

I share with you some photos of a Boeing B-17 bomber with an exotic and unusual camouflage. Does anyone know if this plane entered service and what the function of this painting? I count on your visit.

Avia

Best Regards.

These wacky cammo aircraft were used and came in all sorts of colour schemes. I forget what their purpose was exactly, something like a marshalling aircraft for large formations I think, but someone will know for sure. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B-17 with exotic painting  

Leon is correct:
    "Assembly Ships, also known as Formating Aircraft or 'Judas Goats', were used [mostly] by the B-24 groups of the Eighth Air Force 2nd Air Division, whose airfields were concentrated around Norwich, Norfolk. The combination of new, inexperienced crews attempting to cope with precise formation procedures in crowded skies and often poor weather led to ships joining up with the wrong group and a high level of accidents. In 1943 the idea was conceived of issuing each B-24 group with a dedicated Assembly Ship. A war-weary B-24 was painted in a distinctive scheme unique to each Group, with additional lights in a group pattern, and armament generally removed. The assembly ship, flown by a minimal crew, was first off, and flew an orbit around the assembly area while the group formed up, the crew firing colored flares.
    (source: Michael Chilestone)" Aircraft

Note that the assembly plane didn't take part in the mission beyond helping the other planes form up-they went off to mainland Europe etc and the brightly coloured ship then landed back at base.

Hi,Boeing B-17F (sn 42-3441) used as Assembly Ship by 547th Bomber Squadron of 384th Bomber Group:

?

SK is 100% correct. That was the Bomb Group my Uncle was attached to . We have pic's of this one on the 384th website.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by colt45 View Post
    Aren't you meant to be holding the handlebar thingies??? Is no one flying the 'plane????
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Lots of gauges and doo-dads...where's the coffee holder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast