Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

B - 17 flying fortress bomber

Article about: I flew in the B - 17 909, did you?

Eugene Roe
    ?

Default Re: B - 17 flying fortress bomber

Fantastic photos. I've a dream to fly B-17. Maybe some day

Cheers.

Some years ago I did some research about two B17-Gs that forcelanded in my swedish hometown on Oct 7th 1944.
    One of the pilots, Dick Garland 457th BG 748th SQ, told me that he flew the Memphis Belle as a aircrewtrainer efter returning to the states early 1945. He described the plane as "bucket of bolts"

?

Great photos Bill , that must have been a tremendous experience for you and your son ! you couldn`t get a more lifelike re-enactment of the period if you tried How did you manage to get the flight , could the public book up , and how much was the ticket ? cheers Al

Rick
    ?

The Airfield i was working at in the late 80's early 90;s painted three of the B17's used in the making of Memphis Belle, got to have a look around them and talk to the owner....thats right one man owned all three, he was telling us that as a small child he watched the B17 fly over his town in France, on the way to bomb Germany and occupied europe, and said thet he would one day have his own B17, got his wish x 3.
    The painters even painted oil stains under the nacceles to which one of the pilots said "waste of paint that there will be plenty of oil under there once we gat going".

I am however dead jelous of you for flying in the B17, great pics thanks for shoing them.

?

I presume you've seen the 457th Website !!!

457th Bomb Group Association Website

Plenty of info. on crews and raid details ...

Infact Glatton (457th's base) is only about a 20 minute drive from where I live ..

Gary J.

Quote by Private Snafu View Post
    Some years ago I did some research about two B17-Gs that forcelanded in my swedish hometown on Oct 7th 1944.
    One of the pilots, Dick Garland 457th BG 748th SQ, told me that he flew the Memphis Belle as a aircrewtrainer efter returning to the states early 1945. He described the plane as "bucket of bolts"

?

Thanks for the link Bill !
    cheers Al

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    I presume you've seen the 457th Website !!!

457th Bomb Group Association Website

Plenty of info. on crews and raid details ...

Infact Glatton (457th's base) is only about a 20 minute drive from where I live ..

Gary J.
    Yes Im very familiar with the 457th website. Ive spoken many times with Willard 'Hap' Reese. He helped me out in the beginning when I researched those B17´s.
    Actually there are some pics of the plane from 457th at that website. (The plane wich Dick Garland piloted.) The serialnumber is 42-102905 often refered to as '905'. The other plane was from Polebrook 351st BG.

Planes of the 457th - B17 Serial 42-102905
    The story is slightly wrong on that page. Only one crewman was dead (Lloyd Cox) when they landed. The other died later at the hospital (Stuart Jakku). What Ive come to know so far Jakku had a child wich he never saw. Really tragic.
    The landing was quite dramatic as the engines died and the brakes gave up. So they basicly glided down and used their parachutes as brakes at the gunports. The landingstrip was also way to short and to avoid crashing in to the crowd that had gathered. The pilots made a skid and turned the plane around and stopped in front of the people. The plane was scrapped (1945).

Is there anything left of the base?

?

Is there anything left of the base?[/QUOTE]

Well, most of the main runways are still intact, .. the "HQ" building which was a large farmhouse, reverted back to a farmhouse, ... and Peterborough Business Airfield plays a role on the site .. using one of the main runways for small commercial flights.
    There is a website showing what remained .. pictures taken in 2003.

Glatton Airfield 2003

Cheers

Gary J.

lawman
    ?

Quote by colt45 View Post
    I flew in the B - 17 909, did you?
    As a matter of fact, yes!
    Several of us dressed as a period 17 crew and flew in the nine o nine.
    And it didnt cost us a dime!....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast