Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone identify this aircraft wreck?

Article about: As i read you are not from Greece and writting fake and stupid things.Or you where in the false Greece.If you dont like dont come again

Scoorieboy
    ?

Default Can anyone identify this aircraft wreck?

Hello, seems like a lot of knowledgeable people posting here, can anyone help
    me identify a submerged wreck? I was told that it was a German WW2 plane, but
    when I snorkelled the site it looked more like a Cessna or maybe a Piper. It doesn't look like any of the WW2 models I ever made as a kid. This
    wreck lies in Little Vathi Harbour in Meganissi, Greece. Nobody seems to know what it is for sure, and I'm going nuts trying to find out.
    Can anyone identify this machine?
    Cheers.
    Can anyone identify this aircraft wreck?Can anyone identify this aircraft wreck?

?

Default Re: Can anyone identify this aircraft wreck?

judging by the engine cowling and prop, i would say its not a ww2 era aircraft but quite a modern one, ask your local police office , they would have been notified re any aircraft crash

Scoorieboy
    ?

Cheers davejb, I would have made an inquiry, but I was only in Greece on a flotilla holiday and I couldn't find anyone who knew for sure. I reckon the Greek police can't really be bothered with this sort of thing unless a few euros are in it for them - and even then they'd probably shoot you a load of bull anyway. I did trawl the net for any reports when I got home (nothing) .... but if I can ID this aircraft for certain it would settle an argument I had with one of the other skippers on the trip. Any suggestions of where to post the pictures would be most weclome.

?

There might be a civil aircraft forum somewhere that might be able to help, but i still think its a modern plane of sorts plus it looks to be all white, and from your thread i take it that you saw no markings

Hey ,
    No worries about this being WW 2 aircraft. It looks like a light single , low wing most likely 4 or 6 cylinder Lycoming or Continental engine . What makes it tough to ID (or perhaps this will help someone) is the door on the left side , since Piper's have the door on the right side of the fuselage. Better description of what you saw underwater would help. Rough guess would be 1970's to 80's vintage but in the water only a couple three years or so, water there is real salty ...
    In any case , do not loose any sleep over this being WW 2 aircraft. It would not last long in shallow water like this .
    Hope this helps some , if you want more info contact me via PM
    Cheers
    Samo

Scoorieboy
    ?

Hey,thanks for that. No visible markings on this plane, and both wingtips and most of the tail assembly missing. My daughter has just chipped in - (she snorkelled it with me last August) and said that the control column was like a u shape with a bar across near the bottom of the u. I should have taken a picture of the cockpit interior, but no waterproof camera to hand. All of my websearch, and I can't find one light low-wing single with a door in that position. A couple of people said that a fishing boat had dragged it into the harbour in its nets, but .... (and this is typical of Greece) nobody could tell me when or who.

Blackbeard
    ?

Quick comment. It was there when I visited in about 1993 or 1994. It's a postwar light single (Mooney or Beechcraft?) which apparently ditched there while involved in some nefarious activity. Nothing too interesting and certainly not a wartime relic.

Scoorieboy
    ?

Thanks Blackbeard, I got the ID through a civil forum - It is a Navion Rangemaster, model G.
    Mystery wreck. Can anyone identify this aircraft? - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums
    I'm interested in the nefarious activity story though.... do you know how it got downed?

?

Looks Like a Pieper cherockie

?

Definitely a Navion, quite distinctive really. A vague WW2 connection it was made by North American and is similar in configuration to the P51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast