Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Chocks away! Tally Ho!

Article about: Here's a couple of pics of my Grandads Tiger Moths and a pic of one my dad crashed near Cunderdin in the wheat belt area of Western Australia. My dad got a blood nose from this crash but my

Thanks Jake, good info!

Any pics of your flight mate ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Some moody pics of today
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chocks away! Tally Ho!   Chocks away! Tally Ho!  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I have them here somewhere which is more than can be said about the actually aircraft,terrible accident in 2011 over East Dorset pilot survived barely,passenger not so lucky im afraid.will try and dig them out.............I meant the pics not the crew.......

I know that around the same time that Tiger Moths were being fitted with bombs, so were Avro Ansons. Although the ineffectiveness of the 100lb bomb was illustrated in December 1939, when the British submarine HMS Snapper was attacked in error, hit directly, and suffered four broken lightbulbs....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I have them here somewhere which is more than can be said about the actually aircraft,terrible accident in 2011 over East Dorset pilot survived barely,passenger not so lucky im afraid.will try and dig them out.............I meant the pics not the crew.......
    I think I remember that. Was the aircraft painted silver and went in after the pilot was performing aerobatics and looped it too low to recover? I seem to remenber he had not undergone aerobatic training and was flying with the passenger over a mutual friends house.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

You are correct Ned,the pilot only got his license in 2009 and had just 210 hours flying time with 40 in a Moth so basically could carry out pleasure flights and nothing else and as the plane had joint ownership permission wasn't asked to carry out such tasks,the passenger who was a Royal Marine and the pilots friend,was just treating him but obviously got a bit clever and giving it the big'un and at only 1400ft tried the loop which is obviously way too low this sent him into an uncontrollable spin at a 1000ft with no time to try and correct,both were airlifted with the passenger pronounced dead the next morning while the pilot was fighting for his life in ICU,unfortunately a law suite ensued by the mother and sister of the deceased.

Well I am sure glad I didnt see these videos before I went up Taka !!

Nick

Final destination hey Nick

My Grandfather had 8 Tiger Moths at one stage, he converted them into crop dusters and they worked so well that he converted some more and sold them to a couple of other crop dusting businesses. I've got some pics here, I'll dig them out and see if I can get them on here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast