• Germany

20 19.80%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Which country in ww2 had the best airforce

Article about: britian? britten? you mucked up the spelling of Britain twice

Default Re: Which country in ww2 had the best airforce

Quote by Wagriff View Post

"none of the losing nations were ever wholly defeated in the air."

You've overlooked the mighty Air Force of Mussolini, Corey.....as I recall, it got pretty well smacked....In fact, Ethiopian spear throwing tribesman actually managed to bring down some of their fighter planes...
    Just because I did not mention Italy in my post does not mean I completely overlooked them. Nobody was arguing that Italy had the best airforce, so I thought it unnessary to mention it.

Corey
    Last edited by Sir Payne; 01-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Relax, lad....I was merely being fecetious....However, I would still have to say that despite the embarrassment of having to pry hand forged iron spear heads from the Lion of Judah Haile Sellassie's loin wearing but magnificently brave fighters out of your fighter plane engine cowlings that you're digging out and trying to salvage from the hillsides of the Ethiopian wilderness, that by the glorious day of honor when the Italian troops turned against their allies in the fields in an attempt to save their own hides and keep their capitol Rome off of Bomber Harris's "Turn Rome into Dresden" on his "things to do list", the sad fact remains, that by that point, about the only thing seen in the skies over Italy were horseflies and a few frightened and hurrying Luftwaffe planes and a whole lot of stars and roundels on wings. Mussolini's flyboys had been pretty well ignominiously whupped and driven out of the Italian skies for good.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Gutted, I really liked the idea that they downed Italian planes with spears.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Relax, lad....I was merely being fecetious....
    sorry about that !

Regards,
    Corey
    Last edited by Sir Payne; 01-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.

The pay load of the Lancaster was incredible, the speed of the mosquito, the spitfire sublime and the Hurricane a work horse need I go on??? I will always pick the RAF being a Brit so my vote is a bit one sided.

Ya know....some days you just can't win for losing....sigh....

And, yes-The Lancs were workhorse do-the-job bombers, for sure! No slouches there!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

just one word guys "merlin"need i say more!!!!!!regards minnie.

?

Luftwaffe- about 70,000 aerial victories on all fronts. 2 fighter pilots had 300+ victories, 103 fighter pilots had 100+ victories, about 360 had between 40 and 60, and another 500 had between 20 and 40, which is the max range the RAF high-scorers, for example, fit (highest was 38 for Johnnie Johnson- how many halves and thirds are in that I don't know); Lang scored 18 in one single day, which surpasses 90% of allied pilots total scores, and Marsaille got 17 in one day.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

raf!

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Luftwaffe- about 70,000 aerial victories on all fronts. 2 fighter pilots had 300+ victories, 103 fighter pilots had 100+ victories, about 360 had between 40 and 60, and another 500 had between 20 and 40, which is the max range the RAF high-scorers, for example, fit (highest was 38 for Johnnie Johnson- how many halves and thirds are in that I don't know); Lang scored 18 in one single day, which surpasses 90% of allied pilots total scores, and Marsaille got 17 in one day.
    A misleading mix of Jerry propaganda / braggery, and British modesty I'm sure

God save the King.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast