Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

Article about: Hi all, Here's an interesting image showing the over all size of Dorniers Do 335. She was one big bird for a fighter (this example is a two seat trainer). Notice the height of the undercarri

Jumping back to the Horten H IX V3 for a moment, I have read that the prototype's airframe and wooden skinning is currently being assessed for restoration but it may be many years before it gets back on public display.
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a dedicated Restoration Museum where the public could view such works in progress?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Jumping back to the Horten H IX V3 for a moment, I have read that the prototype's airframe and wooden skinning is currently being assessed for restoration but it may be many years before it gets back on public display.
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a dedicated Restoration Museum where the public could view such works in progress?
    I agree mate it would!....

Absolutely, Dave-san !

I would say the Fw-190s are one of the best fighters around. With lots of variations, as well from normal fighter version, ground attack, Nacht Jager, tank buster, torpedo bomber, Mistel, Suicide ramming, etc.....

The German did made some cool crazy planes!

Ever heard of a joke?

One RAF pilot saw another RAF pilot shot down.

The pilot parachuted safely and the first asked him, "Who shot you down?"

He replied: "The Focke in the Messerschmidt !"

Cheers!
    Taka

I agree also Dan. Much more interesting than the finished project in many ways.
    I think from memory the Wanaka boys in NZ show their restorations progress on line.
    The two Polikarpov I-16's they restored back in the 90's were/are amazing little warbirds. They do a great job.

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Something to stir you blood Scout

Ta 152.......The D9 on steroids.
    Thats the one. What a sleek long nosed beauty.

Great pic.

There is one of those left in Smithsonian storage.

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    That is correct. I can hardly wait. Hope it comes to fruition.

From below link:
    A few years ago Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum announced that they are planning to restore the only remaining Horten 229 V3 captured aircraft as a static model for exhibition

Quote by Scout View Post

Speaking of Horten designs; the The Smithsonian has a Horten H IX V3 (RLM designation Ho 229) on the short list for resto/display.

Now, THAT will be a thing to behold!!!

When that goes on the floor for display, 'Ill be back!!' (the latter with a slight Austrian accent).

Check out the fabulous pics/slide of it here:
    Horten H IX V3 | National Air and Space Museum

Linky-poo
    hortenwings
    Northrop-Grumman also built a Horten and it was found, that it had a radar signature of 80% of that of an ordinary fighter like say the bf109 with some types of radar used during WWII.
    That meant, that scramble time would have been two and a half minute - too little time.

The Horten brothers also mixed charcoal in the glue for the plane in the belief, that it would gobble up the electromagnetic waves emitted by radar.

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Hi Taka-san
    It was a most magnificent high altitude fighter and a beautiful design.
    The 190 series are my Fav. WW2 design and the best all round single seater of the war I believe.
    Cheers mate

Dave
    Agreed. Indeed a beautiful purebred, great looking machine. Gotta love the 'Würger.'

How ever, I must admit that I would be hard pressed to choose between the FW and a the P-51D.

FW-190 Würger - Wings of the Luftwaffe - YouTube

Kurt Tank = aviation designer par excellence.

I don't want to hijack your thread Dave, but another great german effort IMO is the Blohm & Voss BV141 - the asymmetric observation plane of which only 3 prototypes and 5 evaluation aircraft were ever made. Sadly none have survived of these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"   Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Well if we are doing weird and wonderful aircraft of the Luftwaffe I have to add this guy. The Heinkel 111Z "Zwilling" is literally two He 111 stuck together with another engine. They were made to tow the massive Gotha cargo gliders. It really is something completely absurd.

The He-111Z was also planned as a long range reconnaissance, and long range heavy bomber.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast