Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Extremely Rare WWI Aircraft Interphone

Article about: by Steven M Mike....ohhhhhhh yea, I remember that buy it now example. You did NOT pay too much in my opinion. I wanted to pull the trigger on it, but had funds going elsewhere at the time. I

Default Extremely Rare WWI Aircraft Interphone

The SCR 57 was part of a larger communication system installed on a few aircraft (mostly DH-4's) in the closing months of the war. The transmitter was a larger component and designated as the SCR 68. The setup represents the first model of aviation communication system attempted. Power for the main transmitter was provided by an aerodynamically shaped pod which was fitted under the aircraft. The pod had a small protruding propeller which provided current through a generator. These components were manufactured by Western Electric and they also made the leather flying helmet and components that are show in the paper diagram that is attached to the underside of the lid.

The condition of this example is near perfect, with all internal electrical components intact and unaltered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extremely Rare WWI Aircraft Interphone  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Extremely Rare WWI Aircraft Interphone

Latching device.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extremely Rare WWI Aircraft Interphone  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Production plate. Since there is no serial number punched in the provided space, it is possible that this example was not fitted into a plane. However, it is also possible that it was as this technology was considered to be experimental and was never stocked for regular production.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Communication selector switch.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Internal components. Note how clean the battery tray and contacts are.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Component and wiring schematic.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Close up of one of the wire coils.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last one. These jacks correspond to brass plates on the lid, instructing the user in placement of the different connections.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Fascinating. Thanks for posting!

Quote by tud jones View Post
    Fascinating. Thanks for posting!
    Thank you Tud. Here is a photo of the entire communication system I found on the web. This was published in "The Electric Journal" in 1919.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast