Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The First Jet Fighter

Article about: The first jet model to see combat.

iron cross
    ?

Default Re: The First Jet Fighter

here some more pics from an air show I went to about 2 years ago. enjoy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The First Jet Fighter   The First Jet Fighter  

Attached Images Attached Images The First Jet Fighter 

Hi Fella's,

Both the aircraft shown above are new builds!! A project in the U.S. has built several,one seat, two seat and interchangable 1 - 2 seat Me 262's. They are running on the very reliable General Electric J 85 engines. The brakes are upgraded as is the undercart(they had a failure during early testing, but the pilot walked away o.k!!)

If your in the States and would like a flight, yes a flight in a ww2 jet fighter!! Go here STORMBIRDS presents the Me 262 Project and try your luck....i bet it ain't cheap, but what the hell!! Just kick the tyres and light the fires!!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

iron cross
    ?

Thanks ned I would have never known that if you hadent come along. Do they build these modern plains from the ground up or do they take exciting plaines and just replaise some old stuff with new?

Quote by iron cross View Post
    Thanks ned I would have never known that if you hadent come along. Do they build these modern plains from the ground up or do they take exciting plaines and just replaise some old stuff with new?
    Hi Ironcross,

The aircraft are all new build. Check out this FW-190 that flew into Duxfords Flying Legends Show on July 11.The pilot was given a bottle of 'Spitfire' ale!!

The a/c is a German project utilising, ironically, a Russian made radial engine!!

FW 190 at Duxford - 09Jul09 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

iron cross
    ?

thanks ned very interresting and you got to love that old spitfire ale

?

This was a new build too ( in 1945 that is ) I wouldn`t want to have that behind me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The First Jet Fighter  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

iron cross
    ?

that plane is a flying beast!

Hi Zwerge,

Once again an interesting pic from you!
    It's an Me262 A1a/u4. A prototype Bomber Destroyer, only two were built. This one is a member of the famous 'Watsons Whizzers' group of new and unusual types which was shipped back to the U.S. by a Colonel Watson for testing at the end of the war. The gun is a modified 50mm Bordkanone BK5 Anti tank gun.

Remember the British successfully used a 6 pounder 'Molins Gun' in a version of the D.H. Mosquito called the 'Tse-Tse'(Tet-Zee). That could,and did punch holes right through ships.

Regards, Ned.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I thought the ME 163 was the first 'Jet' (albeit not 'jet' as we think of nowadays as it was merely a bloke and cannons sat on a bloody big firework) ??

Steve T
    I thought the ME 163 was a rocket plane, not a jet plane.

Quote by iron cross View Post
    steve the ME 163 was more of an experimental plain that started more towards the end of the war and did not do many missions also very dangerous. The ME 262 was the first jet and also did alot of fighting. Heres another pic of the 262 in flight still be uesd today for shows.
    There are no flyable original ME 262 jets in use today. There are several flyable reproduction ME 262's in use though. They were built only a few minutes from my hometown in Washington state. Google Image Result for http://www.zap16.com/ILA2006/ILA06-Me262-replica-01.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast