Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The First Jet Fighter

Article about: The first jet model to see combat.

?

Default Re: The First Jet Fighter

One of the very first jet fighter pilots,some of you might even recognize him.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The First Jet Fighter  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

verry nice picture of galland

only missing his dog

Hi Zwerge,

Nice photo of Generalleutnant Adolf Galland of JG 26 and his crew cheif Gerhard Meyer.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi Ned,I believe this picture was taken in 1940,he had just been promoted to Major and had just received the RK after his 17th victory ( but I have been wrong before,according to mein frau ).
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi Ned,I believe this picture was taken in 1940,he had just been promoted to Major and had just received the RK after his 17th victory ( but I have been wrong before,according to mein frau ).
    You're probably right my friend. I was reffering to Gallands rank when he retired from the post war luftwaffe. Sorry for not being concise to the period!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The aircraft are all new build.

"Black 6" is the real deal. Since those pictures were taken though, it was nearly destroyed in an accident.

"Built under licence by Erla Maschinenwerk Gmbh of Leipzig in the autumn of 1942 this aircraft, a MesserschmittBf 109G-2, wk.no. 10639, was allocated to a unit on the EasternFront. This unit was
    transferred to Cyrenaica, via Italy, in late October of that year to support Rommell and the Afrika Korps. Within two weeks the aircraft, identified as 'Black 6', sustained some damage in combat
    against American P-40's and subsequentlywas ferried for repair to Gambut airfield south-east of Tobruk. The speed of the Allied advance, however, forced the abandonment of much equipment,
    including 'Black 6', and the damaged aircraftwas subsequently discovered by No 3 squadron RAAF, who subsequentlyrepaired and flew the aircraft.

After further testing at Great Bitter Lakes, 'Black 6' was shipped toEngland to join the ranks of No 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight at Collyweston in Lincolnshire where, after a brief overhaul, it was displayed to the press as RN228. Following the war the aircraft was placed in storage and apart from occasional appearances
    for static display and an abortive attempt at restoration, it remained there until the current MRG began work on the project in 1973.

'Black 6' next flew again on 17 March 1991 from RAF Benson."

Here's the accident Report, and History of the plane...

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_501760.pdf

The US also modified the B-25 Mitchell (it was called the B-25H) to carry the 75mm cannon from the M4 Sherman. The 6 pounder is a 57mm.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Zwerge,

Once again an interesting pic from you!
    It's an Me262 A1a/u4. A prototype Bomber Destroyer, only two were built. This one is a member of the famous 'Watsons Whizzers' group of new and unusual types which was shipped back to the U.S. by a Colonel Watson for testing at the end of the war. The gun is a modified 50mm Bordkanone BK5 Anti tank gun.

Remember the British successfully used a 6 pounder 'Molins Gun' in a version of the D.H. Mosquito called the 'Tse-Tse'(Tet-Zee). That could,and did punch holes right through ships.

Regards, Ned.

3wheeler
    ?

Both Me-262 photos are of reproduction jets reverse engineered from an original jet in the U.S.

The story is told at STORMBIRDS.COM - Luftwaffe Resources.

The FW-190 is also a reproduction made by Flugwerk in Germany.

They are all blueprint-correct airframes with modern engines, hats off to the talented engineers who did this work.

?

Here is an original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The First Jet Fighter  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

cale
    ?

nice 109 Black 6 I think

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast