Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.

Article about: Ade,i was down duxford in september and after a lot of umming and aar-ing i decided to have a flight in the Tiger Moth ,it was the full biggles set up flight jacket ,leather helmet and goggl

Default Re: A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.

Ade,i was down duxford in september and after a lot of umming and aar-ing i decided to have a flight in the Tiger Moth ,it was the full biggles set up flight jacket ,leather helmet and goggles,got to say it was the best flight ive had it was a nice sunny day ,The pilot let me take the controls for a while ,the TM was very sensitive on the controls but suprisingly i found it very easy and i got to do some steep turns before bringing it back into duxford for landing where the pilot took control again.was quite pricey about £100 if i remember correctly but worth every penny.
    The only moan i had was if you wanted a dvd of your flight taken with the on board camera it cost another £50
    Luckily my friend was there to take some photos for me
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.  

I know it sounds a lot, but I think it was money well spent. A memory which will last a lifetime.

I know what you mean about aircraft controls. I did five flights in a glider for my 40th Birthday ( a present from Lez) and the controls were sensitive. Nothing like you see on films.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade.

From 2000 til 2002 i was lucky enough to work for Historic Flying Ltd, based at duxford. During my time there i was always trying to get a ride in any war time aircraft. I had no luck until my last day when one of the engineers from next doors Aircraft Restoration Company told me i could have a go in the then flying Blenheim. It was flying in a display to mark the release of graham Warners book "Blenheim" We took off and circled to the west of the airfield whilst a spitfire and hurricane did a short display over the small crowd there for the launch of the book. We then flew very low across the airfield at nearly full power towards the event hangar, and just as we drew close pulled up as hard as the old bird could take. We then joined the display with the hurry and spit. I was amazed how close they looked whilst in the air.

Truth being i absolutley s@#t myself, especially when i noticed the pilot had a parachute and i didn't. This flight though just made me appreciate what the crews of these planes went through on low level attacks, i was scared sensless without anyone trying to shoot me down..

I will try and dig out my photos and post them here.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your story. Like you say, it makes you respect the Vets even more. You are one of only a few alive today to be able to say they have flown in a "Blenheim". Very nice!

Cheers, Ade.

Attended the remembrance ceremony at Duxford in November, Was tempted with one of these flights they offered then....But Bottled it--I'm not overly keen on heights! Maybe Next Time.Respect to those that Did have a go.

Hi Ade, an old thread I know but as I read it I just thought that I would post an image from when I took a flight in this very same aircraft! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.   A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.  

A flight in a wartime De Haviland Dragon Rapide.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2