Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Texan

Article about: Last month our little airport had a small fly in show. About 10 or so old planes showed up including this Texan among others. I thought this one was rather unique with it's German markings.

Default German Texan

Last month our little airport had a small fly in show. About 10 or so old planes
    showed up including this Texan among others. I thought this one was rather
    unique with it's German markings.

It was built in 1953 specificlly for the German Luft. After it's restoration,
    Gunther Rall autographed the small cargo door on the other side. Unfortunately
    every time I tried to get a picture of the signature there was a crowd around.

sorry for the crappy photo--
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Texan  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default Re: German Texan

Hello-the T6 Texan/Harvard had a very long postwar career with many air forces including the reconstituted Luftwaffe-ironically a number of war films made during the sixties and seventies showed them as WW2 German aircraft incl 'Where Eagles Dare' when the bus/snowplow runs into several to stop them following the Ju 52 escape plane-a crime against historical aviation that wouldn't be allowed now!

I might be wrong, but I think they may have been used as Japanese
    aircraft in 'Tora,Tora,Tora' and 'Midway' as well.

Interesting to see a cross on this plane though............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think they may have been used as Japanese
    aircraft in 'Tora,Tora,Tora' and 'Midway' as well.

Interesting to see a cross on this plane though............!
    I think you are right. Last summer there was a group of planes that flew in on there way to
    The Oshkosh show. One was a T6 dressed up like a Zero.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Yes, modified T6s are still being used as Japanese Zeros, Vals and Kates-in the awful 'Pearl Harbour' which used a great deal of computer generated imagery (cgi), the use of modified T6s in some scenes meant that the cgi also had to show them rather than the correct aircraft-the older European fims I mentioned previously simply showed unmodified T6s as Luftwaffe combat types.' including being described as 'Me 109j high altitude interceptors'.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Yes, modified T6s are still being used as Japanese Zeros, Vals and Kates-in the awful 'Pearl Harbour' which used a great deal of computer generated imagery (cgi), the use of modified T6s in some scenes meant that the cgi also had to show them rather than the correct aircraft-the older European fims I mentioned previously simply showed unmodified T6s as Luftwaffe combat types.' including being described as 'Me 109j high altitude interceptors'.
    I must be the only person who really enjoyed Pearl Harbour !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem