Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helicopters in WW2

Article about: The following link provides an interesting and full report with information and many photos about the use by the major military powers of helicopters during Second World War, undoubtedly, a

Default Helicopters in WW2

The following link provides an interesting and full report with information and many photos about the use by the major military powers of helicopters during Second World War, undoubtedly, a rare theme and little explored in topics. The article can be viewed by visiting the link below:

Avia

Greetings!

Yes, a very interesting subject and yet many WWII enthusiasts insist that helicopters did not exist at the time. I suppose this is because none actually achieved mainstream field use and would have all been fairly "classified" projects which would account for them not being plastered all over the war news reels.

However, none of this excuses for me the use of a Bell 47 (aka Bell H13 Sioux) in the movie Where Eagles Dare

This was a very prolific helicopter made under licence in many countries including the UK as the Westland Sioux and appearing in Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, Batman and M.A.S.H. to name a few but certainly not WWII

Thanks for drawing attention to this very under acknowledged subject.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-12-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You mean that "Where Eagle's Dare" is not a true story ??
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    You mean that "Where Eagle's Dare" is not a true story ??
    Well, I'm not sure , I always used the uniform worn by von Hapen (played by Derren Nesbit) as a reference because of the impressive array of awards on a Waffen SS parade uniform worn by a Gestapo man with the wrong armband untill I realised how wrong he was when he asserted "Strange... I seem to remember... that the cathedral (in Dusseldorf) was on the other side of the square. "

Dusseldorf hasn't got a cathedral

Still, a good film if you can suspend disbelief and it did have a really nice helicopter!
    Plus it makes me think of the subject of this thread every time I watch it (wifes favourite film would you believe )

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-12-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

"Pork Sword calling Danny boy......" Classic.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I actually like that movie. Along with "The Dirty Dozen" and "Kelly's Heros".
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by big ned View Post
    "Pork Sword calling Danny boy......" Classic.
    Trivia alert: As a little in-joke, the callsigns "Broadsword" and "Danny Boy" even made it into the Doctor Who episode Victory of the Daleks, where they were used by the pilots of even more remarkable aircraft: Modified Spitfires in outer space.

(Yes, I know; I really am a total SciFi geek.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Trivia alert: As a little in-joke, the callsigns "Broadsword" and "Danny Boy" even made it into the Doctor Who episode Victory of the Daleks, where they were used by the pilots of even more remarkable aircraft: Modified Spitfires in outer space.

(Yes, I know; I really am a total SciFi geek.)
    Haha, I didn't know that I obviously haven't seen enough Dr Who in recent years. I was a fan in the very first days when the Dr was played by William Hartnell. I would watch it still but the wife complains these days!!

Maybe we should have a thread just for laughs in the "non serious" corner?

Regards
    Mark