Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

help needed with crash site

Article about: Hello Bob, the pieces you have are definately aircraft, just not a Spitfire rudder pedal (photos of the two types used attached), it's probably some form of electrical insulator. Typhoon ped

Default Re: help needed with crash site

Oh, one other thing.

The paint used on wartime dials to mark the figures and graduations is radium paint and is, basically speaking, radioactive. You should wear gloves when cleaning them and, although the radiation is the 'heavy' alpha type, it can still cause problems should it remain on your skin or be inadvertently digested. Thick glass will shield anyone from the radiation so please don't leave it out anywhere......get it in a cabinet behind glass !

Cheers

Steve T

bob55314
    ?

as you can see there is not much left of the altimeter no paint left on the dial at all i was very lucky to be able to read the numbers on it!! there is some pictures of what i think is the rudder peddle looking at the pictures it does look nearly the same as the spitfire item but mine appears to be missing a few bits so what should i do now?. i have tried with out any luck to find any records of a plane crash at the location that i found these items. should i tell someone that i have found them and if so who? and i must say a really big thanks to all the people that have helped me so far.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help needed with crash site   help needed with crash site  

help needed with crash site   help needed with crash site  

Hi Bob

I found this document for you. I think it will help you.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/u...ir_C_Sites.pdf

Cheers

Steve T

Steve, good link, alas it does not always apply for wrecks outside of the UK. Also, the plance could be a Typhoon, Tempest, Mosquito, etc...all had 20mm cannons on board. Danny

?

Hello Bob, the last item you've pictured looks to be made of a bakelite/ plastic composite so definately not a rudder pedal. The big steel lump does not look like Spitfire but as others have said there were lots of other aircraft armed with 20mm cannon. Look for bits with numbers/ stamps. Technically you are breaking the law under the protection of military remains act, 1986. Unfortunately you can't apply for a licence to recover anything until you know the serial number of the aircraft and the names of the crew. Classic Catch 22!

And PLEASE be careful where unexpended rounds are a high possibility. I for one wont take you for a fool but old ordnance isnt choosy.

Martyn

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    And PLEASE be careful where unexpended rounds are a high possibility. I for one wont take you for a fool but old ordnance isnt choosy.

Martyn
    .........Especially 20mm rounds. Notoriously bad tempered if dug up. One of them goes off and you're going to lose a fairly substantial piece of your anatomy.

Steve T

bob55314
    ?

hi all!. ians reply has said its not a spitfire item?. i have looked at many pictures of spitfire items nearly all the one,s i have looked at are different some are rubber coated with supermarine written across them others are plain and some look to be alloy items. the peddle that i have found looks to be an aircraft part. were the peddle joins the rod there is a long nut and bolt which has a small piece of stainless steel lock wire to stop the nut coming undone.(i have all so found lots of small pices of copper pipe work with the same lock wire in the same area) this was found within about ten yards from were my friend picked up the altimeter. the bakelite peddle does show signs of wear. were the pilots foot would have rested on it? plus the peddle does look very much the same as the bottom half of a spitfire item does anyone else think that? if it would help i can post some better pictures of it and can suply measurements if anyone thinks this will help. all so another part that was recovered was a small bronze con rod which was in a lump of badley corroded alloy once it was cleaned we found out that it was from a HAYWOOD compressor which we have identified as being on the back of the left hand bank of cylinders on a merlin engine this was found years ago whilst being in the same area i cannot list a picture as i do not have this item myself but a close friend does(myself and two friends are the only people that know the site)this haywood item was picked up years ago and at the time i did not give it any thought. only now have i realised this could be some thing important.

You mention that you wont mention the crash site incase thieves come get it & sell on ebay!!! Can I ask what your doing with it? The first thing I would do is contact English Heritage & if its a new discovery, get recognition for the find! There may be a lost soul in there!!! Be wise in your choice

Hi Bob,

Can you confirm that you are digging in the U.K. or not? Either way it won't harm the secrecy of your find if you do.

But if you are in the U.K., i think it would be in your best interest and others to bear this in mind. The laws in the UK cover the remains of all aircraft which have crashed during military service (land or sea) are protected by the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986. This Act defines an offence of tampering with, damage to, moving, or unearthing the aircraft remains. The except a special issued licencse issued by the Secretary of State authorising those specific procedure to be peformed.

For the wreck chassing hobbyist, there is a self-regulating body, the British Aviation Archeological Council (BAAC), which defines ethical standards of behaviour, coordinate activities and provide a forum for discussion for it's member groups. Not all active groups in the UK are members of this organisation.

I look forward to your considered reply, as then members here will have a better insight as to your intentions, and if you are being ethically responsible as we all hope that you should be.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast