Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help required on crash site parts

Article about: I know have full details on the aircraft and its pilot. Just waiting on the paperwork and the ok from the JCCC now. Wish me luck !!

Default Help required on crash site parts

Hello there,

First time on here, hopefully will have a lot to share in the coming weeks.

I have recently found a crash site and have got permission to detect it. I have had a nice selection of bits after just a half hour search. There are visable numbers on some of them and signs of a light green (possible interior) paint. Some of the Alloy appears to have a silver paint on as well. But this im not 100% sure about.

One number reads either G00749 or 800749, to be honest it appears to be a 'G' at the start.
    Other markings are a capital 'T' in a circle, another circle or oval with something and 812. there is another circle with possibly EE somthing, but its too damaged to see.

There are various parts, one of particular interest has a wedge of what appears to be wood inside with a steel fitting bolted on to the alloy box section, see attached pictures. This part also has the light green paint visable.

Ok, im no expert on Aircraft remains. I have a feeling it may be a US plane, but what type i have no idea.

Can anyone assist with the info so far? i will be returning this Saturday for another search. Of course i will post some more photos if anything else turns up. Im sure it will as the Detector was going nuts lol.

Cheers,

Dave.Help required on crash site partsHelp required on crash site partsHelp required on crash site partsHelp required on crash site partsHelp required on crash site partsHelp required on crash site parts

Default Re: Help required on crash site parts

Welcome fellow Chelmsfordian

If you need any help I have loads of spare time and an excellent metal detector.

With regards, Simon from Chelmsford aka Shadow Wolf.

Hello Simon,
    Many thanks for your offer mate and thank you for the welcome . Im afraid its a Club site and im afraid im unable to allow guests on with me, they changed the rulings last year. Its a shame as no one else as far as i know has any interest in it. If it wasnt i would gladly let you on. If the rules change in the future i will let you know.
    Thanks mate,
    Dave.

Ok Dave, cheers for the explanation. If you do need some some help pm me the club details and I'll join.
    Cheers, Shadow Wolf aka Simon.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Ok Dave, cheers for the explanation. If you do need some some help pm me the club details and I'll join.
    Cheers, Shadow Wolf aka Simon.
    Some more pics of todays finds. Just to note all the bits on the table are last weeks and this weeks. Some interesting bits this week.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help required on crash site parts   Help required on crash site parts  

Help required on crash site parts   Help required on crash site parts  

Help required on crash site parts   Help required on crash site parts  

Help required on crash site parts  

kc1
    ?

Permission from whom?

The oval stamp enclosing 'EEP 649' stands for English Electric of Preston. The company built Handley Page Hampdens and Halifaxes during the war. So one could reasonably assume that your aircraft may be one of these. Keep digging and post good photo's of all finds and codes/inspection stamps you discover, this could be a very interesting excavation!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Ned.
    Very interesting as nothing is listed crashed there apart from a B26. I suppose it could be possible one could have slipped through. If it be a Hampden, then thats a rare beast for sure. Yes could very well be interesting. Of course no problem, will post as much as possible. As it stands at the moment, no one knows anything about it. Even an old lady that has lived there for 70 years knew nothing about it. Very strange indeed.

Kc1, you questioned permission. I belong to a metal detecting club and we have permission to detect on the land. As soon as we can id the plane, then we can decide on the next step. As it stands we know nothing at the moment on circumstances etc, so all may have to stop pending investigation etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

?

Please note this site is covered by the Protection of Military Remains Act (1986) - I am not here to lecture you as at the moment your finds appear to be within plough depth.

However, If you go ahead with anything more ambitious on this site you are going to find yourself breaking the law unless you have an MOD permit - in addition to the landowner’s permission. Excavation of crash site should not be undertaken lightly there are many potential dangers and the distinct possibility of disturbing human remains if you do not know the identity of the aircraft and circumstances of the crash.

Ned is spot on re EEP and the potential aircraft type – if wartime.

Many thanks Nick,

Yes I am fully aware on whom will need to be informed etc and what could be found. I have been involved with lots of excavations in the past and well used to the nasties. We are now waiting on a possible id and then hopefully we will be a step nearer to being a little clearer on if a war grave etc. I will keep the forum posted. To note as well, we may also have a museum standing by as well. Watch this space.
    Thanks again Nick for voicing your concerns, it appreciated but im aware.

Best regards,

Dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast