Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help required on crash site parts

Article about: I know have full details on the aircraft and its pilot. Just waiting on the paperwork and the ok from the JCCC now. Wish me luck !!

?

Default Re: Help required on crash site parts

All is well then - that is good to hear - Good luck & I look Forward to hearing how you get on.

Quote by NickW View Post
    All is well then - that is good to hear - Good luck & I look Forward to hearing how you get on.
    Cheers Nick, will keep you posted. Its still in the very early stages. I have an appointment with the landowner next week and also with a possible witness. Hopefully then i may have a little more info and possiibly then start thinking of going to the JCCC. Lets see how it goes. Fingers crossed it may be a Hampden. I have more numbered pieces here. has anyone got any refernce to any part numbers for example?
    Regards,
    Dave.

"Ned is spot on re EEP and the potential aircraft type – if wartime. "

Thanks for the confirmation Nick. I am in complete agreement with what you say regarding the Military Remains Act. I think we can rest assured that Dave knows what he's doing, but at least now everyone is clear.

This has made me wonder if we should have a copy of the act on the forum as a 'STICKY' so that folks can read it and readily understand the in's and out's of what is and is not permissible by law, and how to go about these things to the letter of the law. I have a copy of it if required, what does everyone think?

Back to Dave's site, i guess that they already have an idea what the aircraft maybe as he says they are waiting on a possible i.d. One thought that has crossed my mind is that this aircraft may well be post war. All the remains we can see are very fragmentary, as if whatever crashed there went in at a tremendous speed. There is nothing i can really see that confirms this as a piston engined aircraft so far, and i have not been able to verify the code numbers on the parts found at this time.

This has made me wonder if it is possible that the wreckage is post war from a Lightning or Canberra. I wait with baited breath, this thread is very interesting!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello Ned,

Yes i think a sticky would be an excelent idea Ned, can anyone assist with this please???

Yes the site has me totally baffled as well and its been a bit of a wild goose chase really. But of course very interesting. It started with possibly a B26, as one came down nearby but no documentation on exact location, I think the numbered valve part knocks that one out having EEP on it, then there was maybe a Hampden or Halifax, this has now possibly been turned on its head again.........
    I have just fished out the last of the parts from the bucket, and guess whats in the bottom?? two 20mm unfired cases. One is dated 50. Now where is this leading????? Ned I think you may well be onto something here. I have googled for a crash in the area, but nothing at all showing apart from the B26. This is very weird. Ps, dont worry they are now both inert !!
    Keep the ideas flowing lol, my heads going round in circles.

Cheers,

Dave.

?

Have to agree with Ned re the very fragmentary state of the finds – jet was crossing my mind too - Vampire?

Hi Nick,

Did E.E. supply parts to De Haviland's? Could/were these parts interchangeable or even fitted as standard in other types?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Nick,

Just checked and thats a damn good call! E.E. built over 1300 Vampires under license at Salmesbury after the war.

Regards, Ned.

Got a positive id. Its a DH Vampire FB5 dived into ground from the cloud. Not mention of any fatalities i have the serial number as well now and location is spot on. Cheers people, will keep you posted on progress, went in in 1952. Nick, your spot on mate.
    Well done people !!!!!

?

Hi Ned - Yes see here: English Electric - Wikipedia

I got talked into helping to excavate one a few years ago (VV602) and I kept a small casting with EEP on it as a souvenier - I can see Samlesbury airfield from where I sit.

Dave - afraid they don't make for good digs - the cockpit was totally atomised - best find was the most badly bent and shattered Hispano I have ever seen!

Nick,
    Judging by the bits so far that wouldnt supprise me. Still I feel its worth a go. Will get the paperwork sorted anyway and see how we go. Nice cannon still though mate. Would love to find one.
    Thanks mate,
    Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast