Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying an aircraft windshield marking

Article about: Hello everyone I’m sorry that this is a vague question, but any help would be appreciated. I’ve recently been given this piece of plexiglass which I have been told is from a WW2 aircraft. Th

?

Default Identifying an aircraft windshield marking

Hello everyone

I’m sorry that this is a vague question, but any help would be appreciated.

I’ve recently been given this piece of plexiglass which I have been told is from a WW2 aircraft. The person who gave me it originally thought it was from a Hurricane or Mosquito but I have ruled these out by looking at the canopy diagrams from both planes. The thing that is intriguing me is the marking on the plastic in the bottom middle. It looks like a flower, but there is no writing to identify the name of the manufacturer. Would anybody have any ideas who the manufacturer may be, or even if it is from a plane at all?

Thanks
    Identifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield marking

No idea, but just thinking outloud here: could it be Japanese? Is this this mark a stylised "mum".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for the reply Ade, I'll try and follow this up.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

?

On the Bomber version of the Mossie, they had a bit like this on the nose, bottom of the persaplex (?) area for the Bomb Aimer.

Dean O

?

Thanks for this, that's another lead to follow up.

I'll do some more research and post any results here.

?

After some checking, I have found that this is the wrong shape for the Mossie, sorry for the dead end!

Dean O

?

No problem, thanks for trying. As a matter of interest, is this what you thought it might have been?Identifying an aircraft windshield markingIdentifying an aircraft windshield marking

?

Yup, some of the Canadian built early Mossies had a slightly different shape, and I thought it might have been one of those, however it is not.

Again Sorry for the Red Herring

Dean O