Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ju.52

Article about: Last week was the Jersey International Air Display. I am lucky enough to be able to help out at the airport and therefore also get to get up close to the aircraft if not actually in them. Th

Default Ju.52

Last week was the Jersey International Air Display. I am lucky enough to be able to help out at the airport and therefore also get to get up close to the aircraft if not actually in them. This year we had the 1936 Lufthansa JU.52 fly over to take part in the display. As it is my most favourite plane of all time I just had to go and have a looks. The pilot and crew were more than happy for me have a good look around and insisted I got into the cockpit and generally get to know the old girl. Once in the cockpit the pilot says he's off to the pilots briefing, so help myself take as long as I like and shut the door when I'm finished. So like a cheshire cat I sat up front for quite some time. At the end of the week I even got invited to go for a fly in her..... fantastic for sure. Not too many people have done that in Jersey since 1945 and then they were German soldiers.
    She has just been made a German Historic Monument, which means she will have a long and well looked after future.
    That was a great experience indeed.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju.52   Ju.52  

Ju.52   Ju.52  

Great picture with Strongpoint Corbiere in the back ground. That's my favourite place to visit in Jersey

Strongpoint Corbiere

I do wonder what was going through the Islanders minds when hordes of these started to arrive 75 years ago just gone ( July )

jealous

Very nice.

I did not think there was any chance of getting to go fly on her so had been happy to have a good look around.... on my own no less. When the flight came along I was over the moon.
    Not sure that will happen again. Closest to that is sitting in the BBMF lanc a year or so ago.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju.52  

Wow... and thx for the link to Strongpoint Corbiere, amazing pics!

What a great opportunity!

An interesting thing about the aircraft is how they synchronised the engines on start up and in flight. If you look carefully at the starboard engine nacelle in the pic you show of it above, you can see a round mirror about 5" wide, that is angled slightly forward so that when the pilot looks at it from his seat, he can see the spinning prop of the central engine and synchronise the starboard prop to the same speed by eye, same with the the port side as well, so no rev counter/ throttle jiggling required!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,
    I wondered what they were for, I guessed incorrectly that it might have been to see if there were any ground crew underneath..... but now I know, thanks.
    D

Hi Ned,
    I did spot what I thought were rev counters on the top of the engine cover as seen in the pic. I also noted this one had a 3 bladed prop where others that came here during the Occupation of the Island had 2 bladed props. I guess there were differences on the various models.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju.52  

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi Ned,
    I did spot what I thought were rev counters on the top of the engine cover as seen in the pic. I also noted this one had a 3 bladed prop where others that came here during the Occupation of the Island had 2 bladed props. I guess there were differences on the various models.
    D
    I think that is a fuel gauge Jersey34

Interesting link here, translate to English in your brouser

https://www.austrianwings.info/2009/...-der-tante-ju/
    Attached Images Attached Images Ju.52 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast