Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ju.52

Article about: Last week was the Jersey International Air Display. I am lucky enough to be able to help out at the airport and therefore also get to get up close to the aircraft if not actually in them. Th

The engine cowl mounted rev counter does ring a bell now I see it, I'm pretty certain they were on the Spanish CASA built model I used to play around on in the RAF Museum at Cosford, but I had forgotten. I think the 3 bladed props are a post war improvement for better performance, certainly the Hamilton Standard 3 bladers shown above.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The engine cowl mounted rev counter does ring a bell now I see it, I'm pretty certain they were on the Spanish CASA built model I used to play around on in the RAF Museum at Cosford, but I had forgotten. I think the 3 bladed props are a post war improvement for better performance, certainly the Hamilton Standard 3 bladers shown above.

Regards, Ned.
    I am pretty certain they are fuel gauges and the vertical one is an oil gauge

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I am pretty certain they are fuel gauges and the vertical one is an oil gauge
    Hi HM,

The vertical one may be an oil gauge, but I can assure you the circular thing on the front inside of the Townend ring cowl is indeed a mirror for helping synchronising the prop speeds, it's not a gauge.

Take a look at this thread on the Flypast forum, especially post #50.

Multi-engine synchronisation - Page 2

QUOTE:

"By looking through the inner prop disc to the outer disc you then strobed out the relative motions of the props to get the engine pairs perfectly "in sync."
    In the case of at least one trimotor (IIRC the Ju 52) you looked back from the cockpit ,through the wing engine prop disc, to a mirror on the front of the engine nacelle which was positioned to show the nose prop disc through its propeller ,then matched each prop rpm to that of the middle propeller by the same strobing technique".

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned
    Yes you may be correct about that, I was referring to Jersey's question and picture in post #9

Its a fuel gauge for the wing box mounted fuel tanks

Visible on the illustration below as Kraftstoffuhr ('Fuel Clock'). Sorry for the confusion
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju.52  

?

Default G\U-52 WW2 REAL photos

Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52

?

Default ju-52 ww2 real photos

Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52Ju.52 Just some of my ju-52 ww2 real photos in my collection i thought i would share

As I say it looked like a rev counter but could be a fuel gauge..... aircraft are not something I am well up on. What ever it is the flight was superb and this thread has taught me one or two things for sure. Get it going.
    Nice original pics as well.
    D

?

Thumbs up

I flew as top gunner on the CAFs JU 52 (Spanish Casa) at the first airshow she flew here in the states when they first got it from Spain. Had my MG 34 mounted and shot blanks at the attacking US fighters. I have also flown the bird.
    That is one airplane that you fly all the time, no goofing off while at the controls!
    Almost got to make a jump from her, several of us were all ready to go (dressed as Fallschirmjägers) but it got cancelled at the last minute - Bastards!
    Sarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2