Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin

Article about: Good Evening/Morning Ladies and Gentlemen A little while ago I posted that I had just purchased this piece. I can now say that it has arrived. The Seller packaged it very well - I was suitab

Absolutely correct on the cross William - and one of the reasons I initially thought my assumption was correct - but I can't fault big neds post. I can only hope it is from a G2, but as I have intimated, I'm not getting many positive hits on pictures for this aircraft.

If anyone is able to assist I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers

It could well be either interpretation, and in a way, both ways are right. It is, indeed, a AEG Bomber, but it may just as easily be read AEG G.II. From the small bits of paint in the lettering that are missing from time and age, it's almost impossible to tell one way or another. In any case, it is definitely not from the Wing section, as the cross would be enormous, but has to be from the tail. It's been trimmed down to a rounder shape-probably to try to stop the pointy corners from flaking off. You're definitely, right, though, when you say that there aren't many photos out there of these bombers! I think the photo below from the web is about one of the only period photos of one of these AEG's that exist! But, it is good enough to get a decent look at the cross on the tail, and it sure looks like your piece or very close, in any case!It's the right size which narrows it down pretty well from, say, a Gotha tail, and although the cross is not Exact, these were all applied by hand, so I'm sure you will find many minor variations. you've got a great and rare "souvenir" any way that you look at it, though, How many of these old painted canvas crosses can still be in existence today 100 years later? Not too many, I would guess. Most all of the German aircraft were ordered demolished at war's end, so all that is left is types like your cross-snagged from crashed aircraft by soldiers! (Sorry, by the way, for borrowing your photo,Eddy Lambrecht!)

Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks for the time and effort you've taken to find the photo William - it is not one that I've come across. The information that you've also imparted also makes a great deal of sense.

I should have mentioned it measures 390x400mm.

Cheers
    Tim

It could well be either interpretation, and in a way, both ways are right. It is, indeed, a AEG Bomber, but it may just as easily be read AEG G.II. From the small bits of paint in the lettering that are missing from time and age, it's almost impossible to tell one way or another.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that i'm afraid, not that it makes much difference, but if you zoom in and look at the areas i've highlighted, you can clearly see it says 'BOMBER', note especially the 'O' and the 'M' and second 'B' that confirm this.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Looking at that pic I'd definitely go with the word 'BOMBER' too.

From what i can find online i think its from an early one,just thought id post some graphics from a later one for interest
    Allgemeine Elekrizittsgesellschaft (AEG) G.IV
    http://www.luftschiffharry.de/AEG_G.I__2.jpg this might be your tail

great looking piece!! For being almost 100 years old it is in great shape.
    thanks for sharing this with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It could well be either interpretation, and in a way, both ways are right. It is, indeed, a AEG Bomber, but it may just as easily be read AEG G.II. From the small bits of paint in the lettering that are missing from time and age, it's almost impossible to tell one way or another.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that i'm afraid, not that it makes much difference, but if you zoom in and look at the areas i've highlighted, you can clearly see it says 'BOMBER', note especially the 'O' and the 'M' and second 'B' that confirm this.

Regards, Ned.
    True that, Ned...and another unmentioned point being-right Above the black writing is what looks to be large quickly slopped on White letters that look like AEG also. One of the soldiers who recovered it may have tried using a brush and white paint and was not satisfied with his results and redid his ID of the piece at a later date in better showing Black right beneath his earlier effort.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Ned is correct - I have looked at the black writing under a fairly powerful magnifying glass and it does indeed say BOMBER. What I consider to be the initial identification - the 'white' writing AEG above this, appears to have been put on with a blunt object - 'scratched' if you will. It is certainly not paint.

I was thinking about Ned's initial post and why I couldn't see BOMBER written, but instead saw BOMB G11. I believe the reason(s) was actually twofold. There is a larger gap between the second B and what I now believe to be an E than there was between the other letters and secondly the paint that was 'dripping' and made the middle 'stroke' of E almost appear, in my eyes anyway, to be a G.

I think it has highlighted how important it is to look carefully with a magnifying glass at items!

Ned and William - I sincerely thank both of you for your input.

Cheers
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2