Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lancaster bomb arming switch

Article about: G'day gents, we had a military fair here in Perth last sunday and I picked up this little beauty, it is the bomb arming switch box from a Lancaster bomber, hope you like it, cheers, Dave.

Default Lancaster bomb arming switch

G'day gents,
    we had a military fair here in Perth last sunday and I picked up this little beauty, it is the bomb arming switch box from a Lancaster bomber, hope you like it,
    cheers, Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster bomb arming switch  

Default Re: Lancaster bomb arming switch

It's a good pickup mate, will display well!

Jason

Very cool, Davo!

Do you know when this was in service? It would be cool to know. I always assumed a "cotter pin" was used to arm bombs. Tech was ahead of me even 50 years ago, lol

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thanks boys. Green, I don't know when it was in service, I can't find a date anywhere on it. I know for certain that it is from a Lancaster because I am fortunate enough to live only 10 minutes from a Lancaster bomber here in Perth and I have looked into the bomb aimers compartment (I don't know the correct term) and can see this exact switch box.

Impressive item and very significant bit of History there.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Just did a quick check

Lancasters were in service from '42-'63. Looks like after the war the majority went to Canada before retirement. Only 7300 were built, surprisingly. It was considered to be the most successful night bomber during the war, impressive! Nice find buddy!

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

It's great Dave & makes you wonder how many times ( & over where ) these were toggled and the "bombs away" call was made.
    I have a R1155 radio receiver from a Lanc ( that still works ) and I often wonder how many calls came in on it. ........
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks boys! I must say I am lucky to have one of these great aeroplanes so close to home and it really is an impressive thing to see close up. Lots of RAAF aircrews served in them too.

Sandgroper

You are lucky, indeed. I always loved airplanes. When I was younger, we always went to the air show in Chgo. The fighter jets flew among the buildings back then and were allowed to break the sound barrier. What an echo, among those buildings!! Then one day, the bird lovers (or comparables) complained about disturbing nests and now the sound barrier cannot be broken.

Green

We even have a spitfire! In fact the only enemy aircraft ever shot down over Western Australia was a Japanese reconnaissance aircraft that was searching for an airfield in the north of the state. 3 spitfires took off in the dust from the airstrip on Drysdale River Station and intercepted it and shot it down. The wreckage lay on the beach there until 1979 before it was removed.