Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lancaster Bomber Tour

Article about: G'day fellas, today I took a tour through the Lancaster bomber which is housed at the RAAF museum next to my daughters school. It was brilliant, I could do it all over again! I've got a heap

Default Lancaster Bomber Tour

G'day fellas,
    today I took a tour through the Lancaster bomber which is housed at the RAAF museum next to my daughters school. It was brilliant, I could do it all over again! I've got a heap of pics to post up but I'll have to do that a bit later tonight, in the meantime I hope this youtube thing works out.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Lancaster Bomber - YouTube

Very very cool. I went not long ago but didnt get to go in. Did it cost more? Im definatly doing it next time

Dont mean to hijack thread but i took quite a few pictures here is anyone would like to take a look...
    Aviation Heritage Museum Western Aust Few German items of interest aswell (lots of pics)

Awesome footage Dave

Imagine being in there at 30.000 feet, flak exploding all around the constant menace of 109's and 190's and the smell of terror!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very hard to imagine being in there at 30 000 feet with all that going on Nick, not to mention the noise etc....The guide was a knowledgeable old bloke too, he showed me things in there that had never even crossed my mind like a toilet! Apparently you drop all kinds of nasties on the fuhrer if you ran out of bombs, apart from the obvious. The guide said that small explosives could be dropped down the toilet, anything that would fit!

The tour costs $100 but to climb through a war time Lancaster for 1 1/4 hours is a fantastic experience and I'd gladly do it again. Included in that price is a few other goodies, I also climbed through an RAAF Dakota which had been fitted out for dropping paratroops, climbed through and sat in a Vietnam war era helicopter and, one I saved for another visit, I'll get to sit in the cockpit of a Spitfire!! Well worth $100 I reckon (about 40 pounds)

Sounds great Dave, I am just a bit envious

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Sounds great Dave, I am just a bit envious

Nick
    Nick, I'd pay a lot more to see two of these birds flying over the skies of Blighty, now who do I know that got to see that?........

Well, I've just tried to upload a heap of pics but every single pic comes out turned on it's side yet they are the right way up on my computer! Sorry boys, but I've no idea why and I've no idea how to fix it, they come out the right way up in emails and on another forum but not here, don't know why.

That sounds great, Dave. A bit better than standing in the AWM just looking up at 'G' for George.
    There's some good stuff in the West, I remember well the guided tour inside the Oberon class sub at the maritime museum.

Cheers, Willie..

Quote by willie45 View Post
    That sounds great, Dave. A bit better than standing in the AWM just looking up at 'G' for George.
    There's some good stuff in the West, I remember well the guided tour inside the Oberon class sub at the maritime museum.

Cheers, Willie..
    Cheers Willie, a lot of the museums here have hands on displays, the RAAF museum has them and the shipwreck gallery of the Fremantle Maritime Museum has some terrific hands on displays which are great, especially for the kids, it really gets them engaged in learning about history. I don't think there'd be a lot of places where you'd be encouraged to touch a sixteenth century canon but the kids love it, my 8 year old always wants me to take her to one of the museums which we try to do at least once a month.