Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A little something I picked up rather cheap.

Article about: I was having a look around a second-hand book stall at the Stars and Stripes show at RAF Burtonwood last Sunday when I came across this rather interesting note book. Every ink drawing carrie

Default A little something I picked up rather cheap.

I was having a look around a second-hand book stall at the Stars and Stripes show at RAF Burtonwood last Sunday when I came across this rather interesting note book. Every ink drawing carries a full description of the aircraft. Judging by the information given, I would assume this was done in the early stages of WW2. And the cost of this little treasure? Just a single pound!

A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.A little something I picked up rather cheap.

I like that Steve!....

There's a lot of time and effort gone into that for a quid! Leon.

I'm betting it was done by a schoolboy, aircraft spotting was THE hobby for many young lads prior to, and throughout the war. This must be just pre war i'd imagine as all the aircraft date from the mid to late 30's and all appear to be prototypes or 1st production marks. They've on the whole been copied from Air Ministry Press Office released photo's and others from 'Flight' and 'The Aeroplane'. Some of the aircraft can be traced by their serial numbers, like Gloster Gladiator K6131, the 3rd production aircraft that crashed 26/03/38 and was written off with no casualties, Hawker Henley TT III L3423 the 1st production light bomber/target tug, and Boulton Paul Defiant K8310, the 1937 prototype.

A great pick up and bargain price too, excellent.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Wonderful find!!

I love artwork!

?

A nice find!

I agree with Ned on this. When I looked through the book my first thought was that the pose of the aircraft look familiar, and the Wellington with the unit marking is fairly well known. there are very detailed descriptions for all the aircraft. But after the drawing of the Gladiator there are no more drawings - just descriptions and performance figures. The last entry is for the 'Supermarine Strangear reconnaissance flying boat. Not my spelling by the way!

I think their super. What a cool find.
    Love the fixed pitch wooden props on the early Spit, Hurri and Gladiator.

Congrats

All the best

Dave

great little find! love it

?

A nice little thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast