Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Look what flew over my house today

Article about: They fly over my house on their way to Buckingham Palace, and about 20 min latter they fly back over. When they fly over I have a couple of mins to find the news on the tv, watch them on the

?

Default Re: Look what flew over my house today

Theres nothing so stirring as hearing, and seeing, a Lancaster in flight!!

Personal opinion only

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Davesap,
    My dads cousin flew from RAF Conningsby in ww2, he was a F/Sgt
    pilot, They were on a raid over germany flying Avro Manchesters.
    the four runner to the Lanc, got hit by flak and made it home but on landing they over flew the runway and the aircraft staled.
    It came down on the airfield but all were lost in the crash.
    He was F/Sgt George Pendrill 97 sqn, RAF Conningsby. such brave men. we owe a lot to all who fought.
    dave.

Hi,
    This is a photo i have of F/Sgt George Pendrill DFM, aged 21 yrs,
    Killed on landing in RAF Conningsby. the plane over run the runway and staled, it crashed with all the crew killed Dec,18th 1941.
    Note the flak holes in the glass.

Dave.

ahhhh nostalgia nothing compares to the throaty growl of a merlin engine or two

I was lucky enough to get up close and personal to " Mickey the moocher" a few years back when it visited Jersey air display. The crew were great and let us climb aboard,they even let us stay aboard when they fired up the Merlins for ground runs,they sound even better from the inside.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Look what flew over my house today   Look what flew over my house today  

Look what flew over my house today  
    Attached Images Attached Images Look what flew over my house today  Look what flew over my house today 

Great pics and lucky you

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Panzer 3
    Thanks for posting. Its a sad story and one of thousands. We now have a duty to make sure that they are all remembered.

Dave

?

I would love to see and hear one of these in flight.

As the RAF dropped containers for the resistance in Denmark during WWII, it had been arranged for a Lancaster to do a fly by over several drop zones in Denmark on Liberation Day in May.

I had everything lined up, camera charged, vehicle fueled (original resistance armband packed) and was ready to drive for hours to an airfield where it was supposed to land late afternoon.

Unfortunately some technical difficulties developed and the Lancaster was unable to take off from Britain.

Needless to say, those within hearing range learned a few choice new words, when I got this news from the internet.

I wanted to attend the airshow at RAF Faiford, but my wife was very displeased with me wanting to spend my kids first UK vacation going to an airshow (so instead we went to Shonehenge, sigh). But as luck wanted it, I was on the Isle of Sheppy on Sunday when the BBMF Lancaster thundered over, did a circle over the Estuary and then flew toward Dover. Of course, my daughter who takes photos like a Japanese tourist on crack, was over 100 yards away, collecting sea shells, she never even saw the Lanc!!!
    Danny

ahh the isle of sheppey many childhood memories come back .... as a kid i heard rumors of ju87 stuka being buried in the mud around this part of kent never did find out how much truth there was to it but as we stayed in gillingham a lot and my friends grandmothers street was bombed out theres plenty of history and action to the area during the battle of britain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast