Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lozenge Fabric

Article about: Good Morning / Evening Ladies and Gentlemen - and a Merry Christmas to one and all I am in need of some advice. I have found a couple of pieces of Lozenge Fabric. The first piece was sold in

Default Lozenge Fabric

Good Morning / Evening Ladies and Gentlemen - and a Merry Christmas to one and all

I am in need of some advice.

I have found a couple of pieces of Lozenge Fabric. The first piece was sold in 2008 by Heritage Auctions - and initially - according to them at any rate, came from the Paul Strähle Collection.

Any fabric can be tricky - I know that one company is currently producing Lozenge that meets FAA Guidelines. I don't believe that the pieces I show are from here, but I've been known to be wrong in the past.

This comes from the website:

LARGE SECTION OF HALBERSTADT CL. IV 5 COLOUR LOZENGE CAMOUFLAGE FABRIC

This large section of lozenge camouflage fabric measuring approximately 14" x 34 1/2" for a total of approximately 476 square inches of original camouflaged fabric. The section of fabric displays a five-colour lozenge-style geometric camouflage in shades of blue, green, tan, black and violet. This fabric is from wing panels cut from between ribs. There are traces of staining from wing frames and a rib tape along the length. A superb piece, taken from a Halberstadt CL. IV. Ex Paul Strähle Collection

Lozenge FabricLozenge Fabric

For comparison, a couple of pieces I believe genuine. The top two pictures come from a website that I trust implicitly and will be offered in the near future. It shows the obverse and reverse and comes from an Albatros D.Va. The second lot of pictures come from The Aerodrome Forum (though it has been shown elsewhere) and again shows obverse and reverse:

Lozenge FabricLozenge FabricLozenge FabricLozenge Fabric

And then there is this:

SECTION OF HALBERSTADT CL. IV 5 COLOUR LOZENGE CAMOUFLAGE FABRIC
    This large section of lozenge camouflage fabric measuring approximately 14" x 15” of original camouflaged fabric. The section of fabric displays a five-colour lozenge-style geometric camouflage in shades of blue, green, tan, black and violet. This fabric is from wing panels cut from between ribs. This piece has a small section of nomenclature marking ‘5 ¾’ in white and a rib tape along the length. My guess is that this piece is from the lower wing, marking probably indicates load. A superb piece, taken from a Halberstadt CL. IV. Ex Paul Strähle Collection

Lozenge FabricLozenge Fabric

Any assistance would be gratefully received. My feeling is that they are both good, but as intimated, some other eyes looking at the pieces may well pick-up things that I am missing.

Cheers
    Tim
    Last edited by Allegra; 12-27-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Just to show where the actual 6746 fabric originated (and also to *Bump* this thread ):

Lozenge Fabric Lozenge Fabric

The fabric and a picture of the plane is actually shown here: The Aero Conservancy and a wonderful resource it is for all you WW1 aviation aficionados.

Cheers

Fascinating mate,
    Well outside anything I know , but very interesting never the less.
    Let us know how you go.

?

Interesting fabric.