Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

MiG-15 in Korean Combat

Article about: I'D SAY IT WAS AN ATTEMPT AT A ALL WEATHER MIG-15. tHE BLACK AREA ABOVE THE INTAKE IS PROBABLY A RADAR, INTERESTING MIG. YOU DIDN'T HAPPEN UPON ANY P-61'S IN YOUR JOURNEY AROUND CHINA? The M

Default Re: MiG-15 in Korean Combat

Quote by zwerge View Post
    That`s what it is,you`r good.
    Cheers mate, glad to help!...

MiG-15 in Korean CombatMiG-15 in Korean CombatAll this talk about the MIG-15 and it's cannons, the US never went with them because they were to heavy and the ammo was limited, the 6 .50 cal on the F-86 like those of WWII could be adjusted to intersect at a certain distance, you could also fire 4 at one time or 2 at a time.. A 3 sec burst from 6 .50s was all that was needed. But the big difference here were the pilots, and the MIG-15 was pretty crude compared to the F-86, tactics will out way armorment.
    I have read many conflicting combat reports and opinions on the MiG-15bis and the F86 Sabre,which one do you think was the better aircraft?

I have no idea what variant it is, but this is a MiG that I found while I was strolling around a rather large, rainforesty park in Southern China.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MiG-15 in Korean Combat  

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I have no idea what variant it is, but this is a MiG that I found while I was strolling around a rather large, rainforesty park in Southern China.
    Hi,it`s a MiG-17.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Shenyang J-5A all weather fighter (the small radar dome in the intake)
    Cheers
    Dave

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Shenyang J-5A all weather fighter (the small radar dome in the intake)
    Cheers
    Dave
    Same plane,just made in different country....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Scout View Post
    The British Labour government supplied technical information and a license to build the NENE to the Russians. Madness
    Not unsurprising when the Labour Party's flag and anthem was The Red Flag:

The people's flag is deepest red,
    It shrouded oft our martyr'd dead
    And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
    Their hearts' blood dyed its ev'ry fold.
    Then raise the scarlet standard high,
    Within its shade we'll live and die,
    Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
    We'll keep the red flag flying here.

The Red Flag was dropped by Labour Party in 1986 and replaced with a red rose emblem.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Same plane,just made in different country....Pete.
    That's correct Pete.Licence built Mig 17.Over 1800 examples manufactured in China of all marks for the PLAAF and export.
    I wonder what the actual licence build quota really was ?
    Cheers
    Dave

The .50 cal MGs were obsolescent as air to air weapons post WW2-the USN abandoned them in favour of 20mm cannon for their jet fighters and even for later versions of the piston engine aircraft types-all other countries that designed aircraft after the war also made the change to cannon-the Brownings lacked range and explosive effect, remembering that USAF never actually faced the problem of shooting down modern enemy bombers in any numbers late in WW2 and would have found great problems doing so with the .50s given the increase in size and structure of aircraft in the post war period.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The .50 cal MGs were obsolescent as air to air weapons post WW2-the USN abandoned them in favour of 20mm cannon for their jet fighters and even for later versions of the piston engine aircraft types-all other countries that designed aircraft after the war also made the change to cannon-the Brownings lacked range and explosive effect, remembering that USAF never actually faced the problem of shooting down modern enemy bombers in any numbers late in WW2 and would have found great problems doing so with the .50s given the increase in size and structure of aircraft in the post war period.
    Could not agree more,by 1945 the .50 cal was obsolescent as an air to air weapon for the exact reasons you give.
    It's been and interesting thread with plenty of valid opinions.
    Maybe we should have a crack at FW190 vs P 51 next.
    All the best
    Dave

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast