Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Article about: Suberb sight -well done the Kiwi's Hope all goes well at the launch day tomorrow.

Default Re: Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Great thread guys !

My dad built wings for Mosquitoes during WWII here in Toronto.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guy's.
    I based my assumption on the fact that around 15 years ago an older English gentleman who was into British WW2 types (ex Merchant Marine Medical Officer (he was a chemist by trade ) gave me a video of a Mozzie at low altitude with Merlins opened up, I believe this now to be "G-ASKH".When he gave me the vid he told me that there were at least two more being refurbished to flying condition in the UK.
    That was 15 odd years ago and I based my reply on thay.I should have double checked instead of being lazy.
    What a sound that Mozzie made, low and full throttle nothing beat's a Merlin.That's why I love watching "The DamBusters" so much,just to listen to the engines ticking over.
    Have a good one fella's.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 01-02-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

Sorry for the poor pics but here's one at the South African War Museum
    I couldn't get a wide shot as I was not supposed to take pics there
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-02-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: added text and photos

She's a nice example Rene.
    De Havilland Aircraft Australian subsidiary built 212 Mosquito's out of Bankstown in Sydney during and just after WW2 (1943-1948).
    This magnificant aircraft was only constructed in Breat Britian,Canada (as previously stated in the thread) and here in Australia.
    In addition to the 212 local builds we purchased 76 from the UK at the cost of 24,110 pounds each.The pattern airframe was part of this purchase.
    According to rumor back in the early 50's several complete Mozzies were pushed into a hole near Launceston airport which during WW2 was called Western Junction and was a Empire Air Training airfield.They may still be there.
    Have a good one

This is what happened to most of the New Zealand Mosquitos ! I got tears in my eyes when I saw these pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.   Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  

Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.   Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  

yep
    I guess the Mosquito was one of the few WW2 airframes (Swordfish etc) you could destroy with an axe.

Quote by Mikey 51 View Post
    This is what happened to most of the New Zealand Mosquitos ! I got tears in my eyes when I saw these pics.
    I like the shots..... well sort of!....
    Cheers for these

Thanatos, there's a Bankstown one being restored here right now ! A few years away from flying but the owners objective is to fly it back to Bankstown for a bit of nostalgia. PM with your e mail and I'll keep you updated. Mikey.

Quote by Mikey 51 View Post
    Thanatos, there's a Bankstown one being restored here right now ! A few years away from flying but the owners objective is to fly it back to Bankstown for a bit of nostalgia. PM with your e mail and I'll keep you updated. Mikey.
    Mate you Kiwi's do such a good job restoring Warbird's to flying condition.
    Those two Polikarpov I-16,s from a few years back were amazing.Do you know what happened to them? as take off's and landings are apparently pretty hairy I hope their flying.
    Thanks for that Mikey,something to look forward to.

?

Hey Guys Kirmet Weeks has a flying example in the States has had it now for aprox 10 years or so.

Greg

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast