Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Article about: Suberb sight -well done the Kiwi's Hope all goes well at the launch day tomorrow.

Default Re: Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Dave, the Bankstown one ..... Quoting .... "Is an Australian built T MK43 which is a dual control Mosquito , the Australian equivalent of the British T MK3 ... began life on the Bankstown assembly line as FB MK40, A52-20 and was converted to T43 status as A52-1054 ...... it was one of four purchased by the RNZAF from Australia in 1947 .... It's RNZAF number was NZ2308" end quote ..... Disposed of in 1955 and ended it's days on a farm as a chicken shed and childs play house. At least it wasn't burnt like most of the others we had here, about 80 I think, thus allowing the re-build. Please correct me if this info is not right. Will work on the I-16 question for you. There are three other Mozzies in NZ which I havn't mentioned yet, don't want to outstay my welcome on the Forum. Cheers. Mike.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  

Gday Mike,
    Your history checks with my soarce up until the 06/47 transfer to the RNZAF.It's good to know her full history to this date.Thanks Mike.
    A52-20 saved by chooks
    Mate I will have to send some Mortine over, their in plague proportions across the ditch.
    Cheers Mike
    Dave

For Stinschen, Danmark. These ones can sting, and they can bite too !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.   Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  

Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.   Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  

yeahrite
    ?

One of the reasons/problems that have left us with no flyin original Mozzie's even though there are quite a few extant, is that they are glued airframes, and no matter how good they appear to the eye the glue is way past its safe date(there were even issues with the glue in the war), so no official body will give certification/permission to fly because of this.

Great thread!

Now without any research on the subject and with only a laymans knowledge to go on...I have to wonder why what I consider to be a fairly similar aircraft (the Me110) was generally deemed a failure (except maybe in nightfighter mode) compared to the Mosquito?

Was the Me110 underpowered? underarmed? underdeployed operationally?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Great thread!

Now without any research on the subject and with only a laymans knowledge to go on...I have to wonder why what I consider to be a fairly similar aircraft (the Me110) was generally deemed a failure (except maybe in nightfighter mode) compared to the Mosquito?

Was the Me110 underpowered? underarmed? underdeployed operationally?
    Maneuverability and agilty were the 110's problems , especially compared to the Mosquito with its light wooden frame

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by yeahrite View Post
    One of the reasons/problems that have left us with no flyin original Mozzie's even though there are quite a few extant, is that they are glued airframes, and no matter how good they appear to the eye the glue is way past its safe date(there were even issues with the glue in the war), so no official body will give certification/permission to fly because of this.
    Tha RAAF had problems with the glue coming apart in tropical environments with their Mossies.
    I will have a look at home for the RAAF's solution to the problem.
    Cheers
    Dave

yeahrite
    ?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Tha RAAF had problems with the glue coming apart in tropical environments with their Mossies.
    I will have a look at home for the RAAF's solution to the problem.
    Cheers
    Dave
    There was a change of glue, not sure detail, but they will be animal or insect based glues probably, as decent man made chemical glues of the epoxy type etc. were not yet available.
    regards
    j

Spot on J

CSIR tests had shown that camouflaged Mosquitoes absorbed heat which accelerated deterioration of glued wooden joints. Mosquitoes with casein glued joints were usually not sent to tropical areas as this glue was derived from cow's milk and proved attractive to insects as well as being subject to mould growth and break down due to humidity . Urea formaldehyde 'Beetle' glue was used as a substitute for casein to remedy the problem.
    Cheers all
    Dave

?

My friends father was a mosquito pilot .. he was one of the only pilots with Indian heritage.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast