Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Article about: Suberb sight -well done the Kiwi's Hope all goes well at the launch day tomorrow.

Default Re: Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Superb aircraft - hope to see her flying sometime soon. I believe that she was so tricky to engage that if a Luft pilot did manage to bring one down it counted as 2 kills.

?

I Knew Two Mozzie Pilots, One was Ian McRitchie who was shot down on the Amiens Raid with GP CPT Pickard and the other was Brian Haniffen who after the war flew with BOAC , both were outstanding Gentlemen,

Greg

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned for posting,great to hear a merlin starting again after all these years,regards minnie.

Exciting Cant wait to see that baby at airshows

Nick

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Gave me goosebumps hearing that baby fire up!

?

Thanks for that Ned shes looking very Sharp now.

Greg

Quote by Mikey 51 View Post
    Dave, the Bankstown one ..... Quoting .... "Is an Australian built T MK43 which is a dual control Mosquito , the Australian equivalent of the British T MK3 ... began life on the Bankstown assembly line as FB MK40, A52-20 and was converted to T43 status as A52-1054 ...... it was one of four purchased by the RNZAF from Australia in 1947 .... It's RNZAF number was NZ2308" end quote ..... Disposed of in 1955 and ended it's days on a farm as a chicken shed and childs play house. At least it wasn't burnt like most of the others we had here, about 80 I think, thus allowing the re-build. Please correct me if this info is not right. Will work on the I-16 question for you. There are three other Mozzies in NZ which I havn't mentioned yet, don't want to outstay my welcome on the Forum. Cheers. Mike.
    The Hawker De Havilland plant was at Bankstown airport in Sydney but the suburb was actually Milperra ( some trivia as I grew up in the area )
    and until they were purchased by Boeing in the mid 90's ( I think that's when the Mossie went to NZ? ) they had all sorts of goodies there like Sea Venoms, Vampires, Sikorsky helicopters that they assembled .... all gone now.
    There was ( is? ) another one being built at the Camden air museum southwest of Sydney albeit SLOWLY as the museum is a family run affair.
    Haven't seen that one for years so it too may be elsewhere by now.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Great pics and info on the Mosquito.

Im always reminded of Operation Carthage - the daring low level raid on 'Shellhuset' in Copenhagen, when I see the profile of the wooden wonder.

A raid part succes and part very very tragic.

The raid had a great impact (bad choice of words) on Denmark and its population, for those who experienced the war and in the years immediately following WWII. As the war memory wanes, its of course less so.

Its remembered for the daring nature of the bombing, the succesful escape of members of the resistance, but also for the tragic loss of life incurred during Op Carthage.

Shellhusangrebet - Shell House Attack - Huset - The House

Footage from the actual raid. Sorry, Danish language, but still exeptional video from the raid itself.
    1945 Shellhuset bombes - YouTube

RAF memorial
    Shellhusangrebet - Shell Building Attack - RAF-minde - RAF memorial

Note low level Mustang over the roofs during the attack. This pic was a new one to me
    The Bombing of the Shellhus on March 21, 1945.

Bob Kirkpatrick (cant vouch for this page)
    Shellhuset

Some even better video of the Mossie striking up.

Mosquito KA114 first engine run - YouTube

Go full page....It's worth it!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast