Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Name this aircraft!

Article about: This is the latest postkarte I picked up, I have never seen a photo of this aircraft before, especially flying. It had me stumped for a while, I couldn't work out what it was. A bit of resea

Default Name this aircraft!

This is the latest postkarte I picked up, I have never seen a photo of this aircraft before, especially flying. It had me stumped for a while, I couldn't work out what it was. A bit of research revealed the answer, but does anyone else know what it is?

Name this aircraft!

?

Default Re: Name this aircraft!

Me 110 Jaguar? Although the photo looks as if someone took the glazing from a He111 and added it the front of an early Me110.
    Pete
    Last edited by wood; 02-12-2012 at 03:19 AM.

At first I thought it was a Jumo powered Soviet PB100 (PE-2) as the Germans and Soviets colaberated with regards to aircraft design right up to THE 1941 invasion.
    But the tail form isn't the same.
    Will keep looking

?

Im thinking it could be a Dornier Do 17 variant

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Im thinking it could be a Dornier Do 17 variant
    Maybe a DO 217.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Maybe a DO 217.
    Bayerische Flugzeug Werke Bf 162 V2 Jaguar (D-AOBE c/n 818)

Willy Messerschmitt derived the Bf 162 fast medium bomber from the Bf 110 fighter-bomber. The first of three prototypes, Bf 162 V1 D-AIXA c/n 817, was flown for the first time by Dr. Hermann Wurster in Augsburg on February 26, 1937. It was followed by the Bf 162 V2 on October 31, while the Bf 182 V3 (D-AOVI c/n 819) was flown on July 7, 1938. The latter was powered by two Daimler-Benz DB 601A engines, while the former two had Daimler-Benz DB 600D engines.

The Bf 162 V3 was the last aircraft produced by the Bayerische Flugzeug Werke as the company name had changed to Messerschmitt AG on July 1, 1938. Despite sound performance of the prototypes, reaching a top speed of ca. 300 mph (480 kmh), the order for 65 aircraft was cancelled due to the high production pressure on the Bf 109 and Bf 110 programs, and the RLMs preference for the Junkers Ju 88. The V1 was eventually scrapped, the V2 was used at Augsburg towing the Me 163, while the third ended up at Rechlin.

Shown is a heavily retouched photo, the civil registration was deleted, while added were the camouflage, the fake code 'FA-E' and the machine gun in the nose. This image was published on magazine covers during the hostilities to give the impression the type was in operational service, however, the three prototypes never received a military serial.
    source

Think you may be spot on assist24.
    I have a little text in "Messerschmitt Aircraft Designer" by Armand van Ishoven that describes the 162 as a bomber version of the Bf110.
    Well done mate.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 02-12-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: more text

Well done Pete, first cab off the rank and you were right, it is indeed the Bf 162 Jaguar. The glazed nose really confused me, I thought it was some strange hybrid Bf 110/Do 17/He 111. I was sure it was a Bf 110, but that nose - grrrrr! Thank you as well assist24, I'm glad I coaxed your very first post in 19 months out of you