Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

Article about: by asterperious Chances are this piece came off the shuttleworth aiplane at some time in the past - wether this is from its military service or its later in life commemorative service is har

Default Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I have come across a piece of fabric that certainly appears to be from a Bristol F2 aircraft. The site where I've seen it states it is from an F2 - which were first built in 1916. (However, in all fairness the seller doesn't really seem to know a lot about it). It is a 9 foot piece from the right side (36" at front tapering to 3" at the tail). The seller has stated that he is unable to see any other paint below the silver.

The actual Bristol F/.... were in fact in use up to about 1935 in about 20 countries.

The concern I have is the serial number - D-8096. This aircraft was built in 1918, is actually an F2b and is still in fact flying, having been restored. See below for further information.

'The Shuttleworth Trust maintains a Bristol Fighter in airworthy condition at its famous Old Warden aerodrome near Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. D8096 was built during 1918, but did not see wartime service although it was on the strength of No. 208 Squadron in Turkey during 1923. It was acquired in 1936 by Captain C. P. B. Ogilvie, who kept the aeroplane stored at Primrose Garages, Watford, intending to restore it to flying condition, and although the civil registration G-AEPH was allotted, it was not used. It was restored by the Bristol Aeroplane Company and first flown in Shuttleworth ownership during February 1952 wearing an authentic pre-war overall aluminium finish. The 'Brisfit' entered the Old Warden workshops in 1980-82 for extensive engine and airframe restoration, to emerge in full WWI camouflage hardly appropriate for this particular machine.'

My question is 'simply' - did the restoration actually replace some or any of the fabric - or is the silver piece posted, simply 'tarted up'? I can't find any information on this at all.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers
    Tim

Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...
    Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

and finally, from the Vintage Aviator Ltd, their Bristol F2b:

Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

?

Could it possibly have been re skinned at some time in its past?

Maybe contact the shuttle worth collection and enquire.....it could have been saved at some point

Thanks for the input!

That's the question I'm asking - sorry if I didn't make myself clear!

I can't find any evidence that it has - just that it was restored - I know that this refers to the engine, some struts, etc, but no mention of the fabric being replaced.

And good point - thanks for that.

Cheers

That would be a pretty nice thing to have, I hope it turns out to be an original piece mate.

Email sent - thanks AMTG - not sure where my head is lately.

Cheers
    Tim

?

No worries mate.....I hope they are able to shed some light

Fabrc is routinely replced - especially older style linen and dope materials. The doping that tensions the fabric continues to tension over time and the expsoure to humidity variances casues the linen to expand and contract. Over time usually 7-10 years the fabric will fail and split. Any airframe wok will necesitate the removal of the fabric skin. Modern syntheitic materisla are much mor edimensonally and chemically stable.

Chances are this piece came off the shuttleworth aiplane at some time in the past - wether this is from its military service or its later in life commemorative service is hard to say. Are there any markings on the back of the piece? pencil marks, maker stamp for the tcloth etc.? In so far as you feel safe, my hunch is that it is a peice of the airplanes skin from a past refurbushment. How much you value that is up to you - but I would be 99% certain it is not great war period. Probably 1950's or 60's.

As said above cotton/linen covered aircraft need to be re-skinned after 7-10 years or even less if stored outdoors, with modern fabrics and "dopes" they can last about 20 years, i bet this Bristol has been re-skinned quite a few times in it's life!..

I know nothing about bi-planes and looks a neat piece but the Roundel Design screams out late 40's early 50's to me.
    As well as the silver colour.

Quote by Kenworth View Post
    I know nothing about bi-planes and looks a neat piece but the Roundel Design screams out late 40's early 50's to me.
    As well as the silver colour.
    To get to the point of what im on about , heres a Mk30A Lincoln Bomber RAAF circa 1950 my great uncle flew post war , look at the under wing roundels....
    You can spin up a pick of any RAF type aircraft of this vintage and the Roundels all have the same dimensions and silver colour
    Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast