MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

Article about: by asterperious Chances are this piece came off the shuttleworth aiplane at some time in the past - wether this is from its military service or its later in life commemorative service is har

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Chances are this piece came off the shuttleworth aiplane at some time in the past - wether this is from its military service or its later in life commemorative service is hard to say. Are there any markings on the back of the piece? pencil marks, maker stamp for the tcloth etc.? In so far as you feel safe, my hunch is that it is a peice of the airplanes skin from a past refurbushment. How much you value that is up to you - but I would be 99% certain it is not great war period. Probably 1950's or 60's.
    I have sent off a request to the seller about your questions - all sound ones I acknowledge! If it is indeed from the 50's or later, I'll give it a miss.

Once again, I thank you for your input. You've saved me more times than I care to think about.

Cheers

No Worries,

Airplanes and RFC are my main personal and professional occupations.

Well the Seller has got back to me with a plethora of photos - which I have to say was rather good of him. Unfortunately no markings at all.

Cheers
    Tim

Obverse:
    Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

Reverse:
    Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...Oh yes - ANOTHER fabric question...

Here's your answer! scroll down for details:
    Cranfield - Page 2

Caption reads:
    Next is the Bristol Fighter. This was ( and is) owned by Shuttleworth and at the time of the photo (early 60s) was stored at Cranfield over the winter as the hangars were heated and therefore kinder to the airframe and fabric.

And: In July 1951, RAF Hendon hosted the Daily Express sponsored '50 Years Of Flying' Display. These photos show the Static display of current and historic types.

'by asterperious '

Next is the Bristol Fighter. This was ( and is) owned by Shuttleworth and at the time of the photo (early 60s) was stored at Cranfield over the winter as the hangars were heated and therefore kinder to the airframe and fabric.

And: In July 1951, RAF Hendon hosted the Daily Express sponsored '50 Years Of Flying' Display. These photos show the Static display of current and historic types.

I've got say that I'm more than a little impressed with your ability to find this for me! I trolled all over the place without any luck and yet you have found the information needed in somewhat obscure places. That blurb on Cranfield was very interesting!

Thank you - I think this tells me it is indeed post 50's.

It is however still a nice piece of history, just not for me.

Cheers
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2