Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

The one and only just flew over......

Article about: This beauty just flew over! The one and only flying Avro Vulcan bomber...... I apologise for the photo but I was driving and only had my mobile with me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing,

?

Default The one and only just flew over......

This beauty just flew over! The one and only flying Avro Vulcan bomber......
    I apologise for the photo but I was driving and only had my mobile with me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it flew directly towards me as I was on the road (why is there never a layby when you need one? ). Eventually I found a bus stop so pulled in and mangaged to snap a hurried pic before it disappeared behind trees. It was much lower than the photo suggests, the markings and cammo paint scheme were very clear.
    Made my day!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The one and only just flew over......  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: The one and only just flew over......

Beautiful bird, you did great just getting a photo Adrian. I'm shocked there is only one left flying. Any idea why it was flying around your part of town for?

Jay

?

Hi Jay,
    Yes, it is a shame there's only one flying and I think it only started flying again last year.
    I can only guess it had just taken off from RNAS Yeovilton which isn't too far away from where I live. They had an Air Day there recently so was probably on it's way to the next show.

For info: RNAS Yeovilton
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-28-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Link added.

Hi Guys,

XH558 was returning to Bruntingthorpe today after the RNAS Culdrose Air Show. One of many myriad reasons that only one is flying is the cost of fuel, currently about 3,500 GBP per hour. The Airframe is also limited to around 50hours per year and the running costs are approximately 75-80,000 per annum. This, and the many millions already spent to get her airworthy plus shortage of many spares, ensures that this will always be 'The one and only.'

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very cool.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Guys,

XH558 was returning to Bruntingthorpe today after the RNAS Culdrose Air Show. One of many myriad reasons that only one is flying is the cost of fuel, currently about 3,500 GBP per hour. The Airframe is also limited to around 50hours per year and the running costs are approximately 75-80,000 per annum. This, and the many millions already spent to get her airworthy plus shortage of many spares, ensures that this will always be 'The one and only.'

Regards, Ned.
    That's great information Ned. I only guessed it had left Yeovilton because it was flying from that direction and heading West.
    I'm amazed at the costs involved, I had no idea.......

Thanks for those extra tidbits Ned. I googled it and was amazed to see they only made 156. It's a shame, because with the upkeep costs, I doubt this one can stay aloft much longer. I guess they want to fly it during the opening 2012 Olympic ceremony.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Thanks for those extra tidbits Ned. I googled it and was amazed to see they only made 156. It's a shame, because with the upkeep costs, I doubt this one can stay aloft much longer. I guess they want to fly it during the opening 2012 Olympic ceremony.
    It's original permit to fly was for 4 years only, so it should just make the Olympics. After that the word is she'll be relegated to doing fast taxies up and down the runway. But, you never know with the will power these guys have already invested....fingers crossed!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I was brought up 3 miles from RAF Waddington and 7 miles from RAF Scamption and every day Vulcans from both airfields flew low over our house. I have not seen one flying since they were decommissioned so I really envy you seeing that beauty Adrian

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem