Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OOPS....!!! 3/4 Scale Replica Spitfire Makes A Wheels Up Landing Yesterday.

Article about: A 3/4 scaled replica Spitfire was forced to do a wheels up landing at Sibson Aerodrome, Peterborough yesterday morning (18th July) after his undercart failed, the chap did a nice job of gett

Very well done. A fantastic looking aeroplane too.

He did well, landing speed appeared quite gentle.

One question though: If you're going to build a 3/4 scale Spit, why not... you know, build a 1:1 version? Just saying...

A few years ago I had cause to visit a chap who was hand building one of these in his garage, he liked a drink or four and I dont think I would have been over confident going for a spin in it.

He didn't end up with a 1.25:1 version did he?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    He did well, landing speed appeared quite gentle.

One question though: If you're going to build a 3/4 scale Spit, why not... you know, build a 1:1 version? Just saying...
    You can get the kit for a 1:1 scale Spit here:

Spitfire Aircraft Company, Ltd.

Price guide is currently $332,455. Then you have to have a complete, freshly re-built Merlin (or Allison???) from an authorised re-builder which will cost you $350,000-$400,000 these days. Just a rebuild from a supplied engine can be $150,000-$200,000. By the time you buy the kit, engine, prop, instruments, and all the accessories you would be in the $700,000-$750,000 range. Then add on say, 7,000 man hours sticking it all together and your getting close to around $1,000,000 as a rough estimate.

That's not bad when you consider that the real deal goes for around $3,120,000-$3,900,000 depending. Then there's the flight training, engine rebuilds after 500 hours (see above) $78,000 yearly routine maintenance, $46,000+ insurance and fuel costs at 40 gallons an hour, etc., etc.

Frankly I would prefer one of these, I could afford that but might have to cut a wire fence down to have an extended runway laid out in the horse paddock to get the bugger off the ground since the pounds have been piling on.....

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So you're only going to get 3 of the replicas then? Not quite the squadron you were aiming for but then we must have our limits mustn't we?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    So you're only going to get 3 of the replicas then? Not quite the squadron you were aiming for but then we must have our limits mustn't we?
    That's right mate, and we should each stick to our own.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2