Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quote by James C View Post
    ill have to just watch from the sidelines tim but still a great idea
    Many thanks James, but join in!

I'm beginning to think it may be extended to recognition of pilots as well as aircraft.

Cheers

Okey dokey, I know I said I would post another quiz in two days time, but I've been out and about looking for some images and my computer is now somewhat over capacity in terms of storage facilities.

I'm after the name of this German Ace. (Hint: he had in excess of 25 victories and died in 1982).

He flew one of these planes - for an extra point, I'm after the entire model designation. This particular plane did not belong to the above pilot and does seem to be rather the worse for wear after some of the more enterprising troops went on a collecting spree!

Good luck!

All I'm seeing is this:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned - that's especially for you...everyone else can see the images!

Sorry about that - I'll try again - though I can see them.

Is that better?

Tim

Dunno the pilot but the aircraft is a Fokker D.VII, I have an unbuilt Revell 1/28 scale kit of it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Dunno the pilot but the aircraft is a Fokker D.VII, I have an unbuilt Revell 1/28 scale kit of it.

Regards, Ned.
    And 1 point to the BBofBW! Congratulations - but you seriously need to build the model!

Still after the name of the pilot.

The pilot would be Josef Mai, who was Austro-Hungarian by birth I think.

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    The pilot would be Josef Mai, who was Austro-Hungarian by birth I think.
    And we have a new player in the game - Congrats on the great pick up!

Josef Mai was a 30 Victory Ace. Mai joined the German Air Force in 1915 and became a pilot the following year. He achieved his first eleven victories flying an Albatros D.V easily identified by his personal insignia: a star and a crescent. Mai was commissioned in September 1918 and wounded in the upper left leg on 3 September 1918. He was recommended for the Blue Max but the war ended before it could be awarded. He briefly flew the Fokker Triplane, achieving three victories, but finished the war flying the Fokker D.VII.

Cheers

I have read that it is rumored that Mai became a flight instructor in the Luftwaffe ?

Now that's rather interesting....I'll have to check it up - haven't come across that tit-bit!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast