Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quiz #3.

OK - final quiz for the day / night.

I know this is rather akin to cheating, but with Ned out there lurking about, I have to be a tad devious!

The following cockpit image is from a Flight Sim! I would like the name of the plane.

I will take this opportunity to state that the image is pretty well 'spot on' for the layout.

(If people have not managed to 'crack this nut' I'll post another -fuller - image in a couple of hours)

Blue skies!

(Hint: Look at the top wing and wing mounted machine guns. Look also at the struts)

And the additional image:

Good luck.

As this seems to be a little more difficult, I will continue to add additional images:

You may not think that this helps - but it does if you look carefully.

Final picture for the night:

Last edited by Allegra; 02-21-2015 at 01:26 PM.

?

Is the plane a Dehavilland DH4 ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Is the plane a Dehavilland DH4 ?
    Hi Zwerge

Afraid not.

Tim

Spad s. Vii ?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Spad s. Vii ?
    I'm afraid not.

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Quiz #3.

OK - final quiz for the day / night.

I know this is rather akin to cheating, but with Ned out there lurking about, I have to be a tad devious!

The following cockpit image is from a Flight Sim! I would like the name of the plane.

I will take this opportunity to state that the image is pretty well 'spot on' for the layout.

(If people have not managed to 'crack this nut' I'll post another -fuller - image in a couple of hours)

Blue skies!

(Hint: Look at the top wing and wing mounted machine guns. Look also at the struts)

And the additional image:

Good luck.

As this seems to be a little more difficult, I will continue to add additional images:

You may not think that this helps - but it does if you look carefully.

Final picture for the night:

I think that's a Sopwith Dolphin!....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I think that's a Sopwith Dolphin!....
    I just knew I'd push it too far!!!!

Congrats Gunny - it is indeed - well done.

In early 1917, Sopwith's chief engineer Herbert Smith began designing a new fighter (internal Sopwith designation 5F.1) powered by the geared 200 hp Hispano-Suiza 8B. The resulting Dolphin was a two-bay, single-seat biplane. The upper wings were attached to an open steel cabane frame above the cockpit. To maintain the correct centre of gravity, the lower wings were positioned 13 inches forward of the upper wings, creating the Dolphin’s distinctive negative wing stagger. The pilot sat with his head raised through the frame, where he had an excellent field of view. This configuration sometimes caused difficulty for novice pilots, who found it difficult to keep the aircraft pointed at the horizon because the nose was not visible from the cockpit. The cockpit was nevertheless warm and comfortable, in part because pipes ran alongside the cockpit walls to the two side-mounted radiator blocks. Shutters in front of each radiator core allowed control of engine temperature.
    The first Dolphin prototype was powered by a geared 150 hp Hispano-Suiza 8 and featured a deep "car-type" frontal radiator. Test pilot Harry Hawker carried out the maiden flight on 23 May 1917. In early June, the prototype was sent to Martlesham Heath for official trials. On 13 June, the prototype flew to Saint-Omer, France, where the aircraft's unfamiliar shape prompted Allied anti-aircraft gunners to fire on it. Several pilots, including Billy Bishop of No. 60 Squadron, evaluated the prototype and reported favorably on it. On 28 June 1917, the Ministry of Munitions ordered 200 Dolphins from Hooper & Co. Shortly thereafter, the Ministry ordered a further 500 aircraft from Sopwith and 200 aircraft from Darracq Motor Engineering Co.
    The second prototype introduced upper wing radiators in lieu of the frontal radiator and large cut-outs in the lower wing roots to improve the pilot's downward vision. These features proved unsuccessful and were omitted from subsequent aircraft. The third and fourth prototypes incorporated numerous modifications to the radiator, upper fuselage decking, fin and rudder. The fourth prototype was selected as the production standard. Series production commenced in October 1917, with 121 Dolphins delivered by the end of the year.

Quiz #4.

I am after the name of this plane.

There will be 4 'teaser pictures' released at the rate of about one every three hours.

The image after the final teaser will be the full aircraft in profile.

Good luck!

Edit: A bonus point will be awarded to anyone able to identify the aircraft prior to all images being released.

The initial photo shows the gunner's position. (Unfortunately I am unable to increase the size any more than it is).:

Last edited by Allegra; 02-21-2015 at 11:29 PM.

I would say a Sikorsky Ilya Muromets because of the cylinder like objects but I think that was only a passenger plane.

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    I would say a Sikorsky Ilya Muromets because of the cylinder like objects but I think that was only a passenger plane.
    I agree,a sikorsky S-22.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast