Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    I would say a Sikorsky Ilya Muromets because of the cylinder like objects but I think that was only a passenger plane.
    <Picks up jaw from the floor>

Congratulations! You are indeed correct. 2 points for you!

The two cylinders are fuel tanks...I don't think I would have been terribly happy sitting on top of them! It was indeed used as a bomber during the war.

The remaining photos:

Rear gunner's position:

Inside the fuselage:

Cockpit:

Profile - there are several better ones out there!

The Ilya Muromets was first conceived and built as a luxurious aircraft. For the first time in aviation history, it had an insulated passenger saloon, comfortable wicker chairs, a bedroom, a lounge and even the first airborne toilet. The aircraft also had heating and electrical lighting. The S-22 cockpit had sufficient space allowing several persons to observe the pilot. Openings on both sides of the fuselage permitted mechanics to climb out onto the lower wings to service the engines during flight. A hatch on the left side provided an entry to the main cabin, behind the cockpit. The main cabin featured two large windows on each side. Further back was a private cabin which included a berth, small table and a cabinet. Lighting was provided by a wind-driven generator and heating was supplied by two long engine exhaust pipes which passed through the corners of the cabin. In the bomber variants, a drift indicator and elementary bomb sight was added to aid bombing

A bit of shameless self promotion - myself playing Rise of Flight in the Ilya Muromets:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qKjWrkHKI

Quiz #5:

I am continuously amazed at the depth of knowledge that this Forum has amongst it ranks.

For this quiz I am after both the name of the plane and the pilot - an Ace.

There are only three photos to be included - I think the two of the cockpit will make the identification of the plane relatively easy.

Two points will be awarded - 1 for the identification of the plane and the other for the identification of the pilot.

Good luck!

Pilot and plane:

Cockpit images:

?

Is it a Hanriot HD-1 flown by Giorgio Marchetti ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Is it a Hanriot HD-1 flown by Giorgio Marchetti ?
    Hi Zwerge

It is indeed a Hanriot HD1 - Congrats and that's one point to you!

Unfortunately the pilot is not Giorgio Marchetti.

But now people know the plane, I am confident that the pilot's ID will not be too far away.

Cheers

?

How about Coppens or Scaroni...just guessing.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Ah...now you have to choose.

Be careful!

?

I will pick Coppens then.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    I will pick Coppens then.
    And you picked well - congratulations, that's another point!

The Hanriot HD-1

Belgium's leading fighter ace, with 37 victories credited, and the champion "balloon buster" of World War I, Willy Omer François Jean Coppens de Houthulst was born in July, 1892, in Watermael-Boitsfort, near Brussels. He joined the army in 1912 and served with the 2nd Grenadiers before transferring to the Compagnie des Aviateurs in 1915.
    In 1917, assigned to the 9emme unit, he started to fly the single-seat Hanriot HD.1 – he was the first Belgian pilot to use this fighter, and with this, he became an expert at shooting down enemy balloons. From May to October, 1918, he shot down 34 of them,
    On October 14th, in a combat over Torhout, he was severely wounded by an incendiary bullet. Taken to hospital, he had his leg amputated, ending his career as a fighting ace. He was knighted for his wartime service and decorated by Belgium, France, Britain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, and Serbia.

Cheers

NOTE: The next quiz will be the final for the day.

Quiz #6:

This will be the final one for the day - TBH, I don't think it will be overly difficult considering the results from the last two quizzes in particular.

I am after the name and model of the following aircraft.

Only these two pictures will be used.

Good luck!

?

Looks like an Albatross CIII....Snoopy.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast