Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Raf machine gun part?

Article about: Hello mates from the rainy Athens!I hope that you are all fine!I need your priceless help!The seller says that this is a part of a RAF machine gun!As you can see is stamped with the King's l

Default Raf machine gun part?

Hello mates from the rainy Athens!I hope that you are all fine!I need your priceless help!The seller says that this is a part of a RAF machine gun!As you can see is stamped with the King's letters GR!So,are the seller's words right?Many Thanks for your time and help Raf machine gun part?Raf machine gun part?

Most RAF MG's were Vickers products. Try searching for drawings on these.

Nothing I recognise, sorry.

Greetings from a sunny England!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for your feedback Ade!I think it is a Vickers K machine gun part

I was under the impression that the most widely-used MG by the RAF was the Browning. I heard that most of these seemed to have been produced by BSA.

woodpecker is right

?

Better photos please, I know you might be reluctant to remove the packageing but we stand a better chance of identifying it if you unpack it, carefuly!!
    Regards
    Tiffy

Ι saw it in an auction mate!I dont have it!

?

It's .303 Browning. The matching slots allow for left or right feed to be set, depending on which wing the gun is mounted.

Yes it's defo a .303 Browning MkII bolt. The .30 ANM2 Browning Bolt is pretty much identical but the inspection mark indicates it's the MkII bolt not ANM2.

The MkII was made by BSA, Vickers Sons and Maxim (VSM), Standard Motors and John Inglis and Son.

Should have said, the slots are guides for the feed on the top cover. They can be changed for the feed of the gun, i.e. Left or Right side feed. It's not dependent on wing but more on its position. 4 turret guns for instance would have 2 left and 2 right, a wing may have 2 guns set up as a left and a right feed so that the guns are next to each other.