Real or Photo shopped?

Article about: Is this possible ? One heck of a flypast if real Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Is this possible ?

One heck of a flypast if real

Nick
    I think its about to crash land

Quote by davejb View Post
    Its not a model , it has three props on each engine, I believe this is a belly landing about to take place as its heading for the side of the runway and the grass which was standard emergency procedure
    You can get 3 and 4 bladed props now Dave!..
    3 and 4 Blade Props

The photo is genuine. It's a B-17 being flown at Bovingdon airfield during the making of the film 'The War Lover' starring Steve McQueen in 1960 as Andreas has already shown. The pilot was an ex British army glider pilot who later joined the RAF and was posted to the Far East during WW2 named John Crewdson. He flew the aircraft solo for these low flying scenes and was also the pilot for many scenes in films over the years such as 633 Squadron and several James Bond films as a helicopter pilot. He was killed filming in his Allouette helicopter over the Wash in 1983.

As an aside, it's a little bit of useless trivia, but in 'The War Lover', the young ball turret gunner, 'Junior Sailen' was played by a youthful Michael Crawford of "Phantom of the opera" and "Some mothers do 'ave 'em" fame.

So there ya go, the answer.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The photo is genuine. It's a B-17 being flown at Bovingdon airfield during the making of the film 'The War Lover' starring Steve McQueen in 1960 as Andreas has already shown. The pilot was an ex British army glider pilot who later joined the RAF and was posted to the Far East during WW2 named John Crewdson. He flew the aircraft solo for these low flying scenes and was also the pilot for many scenes in films over the years such as 633 Squadron and several James Bond films as a helicopter pilot. He was killed filming in his Allouette helicopter over the Wash in 1983.

As an aside, it's a little bit of useless trivia, but in 'The War Lover', the young ball turret gunner, 'Junior Sailen' was played by a youthful Michael Crawford of "Phantom of the opera" and "Some mothers do 'ave 'em" fame.

Ooooh Betty!.....

?

Quote by big ned View Post

I have been in a B17. I wonder how he sat in the pilots seat with balls as big as his ????

that's some flying,he must have taken lessons from Ray Hanna. H N Year.

I've seen this photo from the era of 'The War Lover' film before,
    but have also read about fighter pilots, still in training, who
    flew so low their props cut chunks of asphalt out of roads
    and runways. This type of daring/scary flying is what
    they called "balls out".

It's a great shot.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2