Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian Comet?

Article about: I guess this would be the place for this. I wonder if this ME163b was ever flown against it's previous owners?

Default Re: Russian Comet?

NO! read the text : The Mitsubishi Shusui (Sword Stroke) was a design for a joint Army-Navy project for a fast-climbing interceptor fighter, prompted by the appearance over Japan of the American B-19 Superfortress bomber. The Navy version was designated the J8M1, and the Army version was designated the Ki-200. The project was based on the German Me-163b rocket-powered fighter, but unfortunately for the Japanese the submarine carrying the technical plans and the sample engine was sunk by the Allies enroute to Japan. Based on the incomplete data that arrived on a second submarine Mitsubishi took on the project in 1944 and had a mock-up ready by September of that year. A glider version for testing purposes was designated the MXY8 Akigusa (Autumn Grass), with three being built. After the testing and training program was undertaken the rocket-powered J8M1 was developed and was ready to start flight trials on July 7, 1945. On its maiden flight, however, the J8M1 crashed when the engine failed during the steep takeoff climb. Modifications were being made to the fuel system of the sixth and seventh prototypes, but the war ended before they could be tested or used

Quote by NSDAP42 View Post
    NO! read the text : The Mitsubishi Shusui (Sword Stroke) was a design for a joint Army-Navy project for a fast-climbing interceptor fighter, prompted by the appearance over Japan of the American B-19 Superfortress bomber. The Navy version was designated the J8M1, and the Army version was designated the Ki-200. The project was based on the German Me-163b rocket-powered fighter, but unfortunately for the Japanese the submarine carrying the technical plans and the sample engine was sunk by the Allies enroute to Japan. Based on the incomplete data that arrived on a second submarine Mitsubishi took on the project in 1944 and had a mock-up ready by September of that year. A glider version for testing purposes was designated the MXY8 Akigusa (Autumn Grass), with three being built. After the testing and training program was undertaken the rocket-powered J8M1 was developed and was ready to start flight trials on July 7, 1945. On its maiden flight, however, the J8M1 crashed when the engine failed during the steep takeoff climb. Modifications were being made to the fuel system of the sixth and seventh prototypes, but the war ended before they could be tested or used
    Jeeeeezzz! Relax! I was just being facetious! But thanks for the info.

Quote by NSDAP42 View Post
    Very interesting to state the least... I figured that something like this was intended to be used against B29s.

Tough luck for Japan in regards to that ship that had the plans on board....
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

I see on the History channel the history of u-boat with the Japan scientists ,this sub go to Japan with the secret plan for motor and some piece for this Mitsubishi Shusui but the sub sank north of Germany, i don't remember the number of this sub and sorry i am very limited in english

gil setz
    ?

be the ultimate kamakazi aircraft. in japan hands

Quote by Pierre N View Post
    only 559 mph

only 899 Km
    Not the speed that was most scary... it was the possibility of getting doused with high concentration Hydrogen Peroxide and having parts of your body turned to marmalade before your own eyes

Wesley's Dad, you are absolutely correct about the unstable fuel. It didn't take much to get those fuel tanks to rupture or ever get the jet to land without it igniting.

Ty

Quote by Pierre N View Post
    only 559 mph

only 899 Km
    Hi Guys,

Just a vaguely amusing aside to this interesting thread. A few years ago, i worked on a strip down and rebuild of the Me 163 B at Cosford Aerospace Museum down the road from me in Shropshire.

On removing the port wing (which was mainly made of spruce and plywood), we found,near the wing tip, a fieldmouse's nest!! The general concensus was that it could only have got there during the construction of the airframe, as the compartment in which it was found was completely inaccessable.We had a good laugh about mickey,the fastest mouse in the world (at that time anyway!!!)

Happy Days, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just a vaguely amusing aside to this interesting thread. A few years ago, i worked on a strip down and rebuild of the Me 163 B at Cosford Aerospace Museum down the road from me in Shropshire.

On removing the port wing (which was mainly made of spruce and plywood), we found,near the wing tip, a fieldmouse's nest!! The general concensus was that it could only have got there during the construction of the airframe, as the compartment in which it was found was completely inaccessable.We had a good laugh about mickey,the fastest mouse in the world (at that time anyway!!!)

Happy Days, Ned.
    Was Mickey there?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Was Mickey there?
    HA HA!!!

I think he must of hit the silk! But there was evidence that he had a (very small) bowel movement first.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast