Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

Article about: by big ned There is a cracking example of the F-111F in the museum at RAF Cosford down the road from me (entry is free!). It's a beast of an aircraft, our example came from Lakenheath, here'

Default Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

Default Re: Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

Very sad indeed,i live in NORWICH about 50 miles from their base.I remember when the skys of NORFOLK here in the UK were filled with F111 and A10 tank busters. A lot of noise but a great sight all the same!

?

As the commentary said in the clip, the planes were being destroyed in compliance with American Goverment Instructions, but if your goverment had wanted one for a museum I would have been surprised if they had refused.

When the 8 inch and 175mm SPG were disposed of out of UK Service I believe the tubes had to be destroyed in compliance with US instructions. Presumably in the case of the 8 inch guns this was because they were capable of firing Nucular tipped Shells. The rest of the vehicles were sold but not the tubes.

In this day and age, I cannot understand them being placed in landfill? Hardly an ecologically sound choice.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well 50 years from now they will be digging them up again and selling them for a fortune.

No scrap yards in the UK?
    Strange.
    chris

Hi Chris, EU regualtions are now making scrapyards a thing of the past.

One would have thought breaking these up and recycling all the materials would have been a better option? But maybe the treaty obligations would not allow t?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Chris, EU regualtions are now making scrapyards a thing of the past.

One would have thought breaking these up and recycling all the materials would have been a better option? But maybe the treaty obligations would not allow t?

Cheers, Ade.
    That is crasy.
    So no green jobs.
    I thought recycling was a big deal.Cleanning the land.
    chris

Hi Chris, we do still have scrapyards, just all the regulations involved with them are limiting their numbers.

Landfill is really discouraged (but sadly we still do it...) and has had a special Landfill Tax on it for quite a few years now.

Jerry made an interesting post last year, saying that as recycling really takes hold, future digs will not reveal much about the world we live it, which I thought was an interesting point.

Cheers, Ade.

There is a cracking example of the F-111F in the museum at RAF Cosford down the road from me (entry is free!). It's a beast of an aircraft, our example came from Lakenheath, here's a picture of it.

Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

And some of you may not know that the method of ejecting from the aircraft was pretty spectacular, the whole cockpit 'capsule' with both crew members would eject piecemeal from the aircraft, as can be seen in this short video.

F-111 capsule ejection - YouTube

Impressive stuff I think you'll agree!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast