Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

spitfire monument in holland

Article about: hi , just wondered if anyone could throw any light on something I spotted whilst on a fishing holiday in Holland last year, It was the model of a spitfire about 1/3 scale very well made of m

Default spitfire monument in holland

hi , just wondered if anyone could throw any light on something I spotted whilst on a fishing holiday in Holland last year,
    It was the model of a spitfire about 1/3 scale very well made of metal. and a prop that spun in the wind, there was no information ie notices or anything to indicate why it was there,written on the fuselage was EAST INDIA SQUADRON. it was enclosed with a fence, the actual place is just a memory, but it was in an area called Dirksland, near a canal lock, footbridge and farmhouse.
    Any help would be appreciated

?

Default Re: spitfire monument in holland

I guess that this is the monument that you saw. Panoramio - Photo of Overview Dirksland SAS and the is a comment that stated that the East India Squadron dropped food parcels over Holland all do i find that a bit hard to belief.

[QUOTE=macket;446483]I guess that this is the monument that you saw. Panoramio - Photo of Overview Dirksland SAS and the is a comment that stated that the East India Squadron dropped food parcels over Holland all do i find that a bit hard to belief.[/QUOT

thank you Macket, That is the place, I do not think a Spitfire would have been used in the MANNA drops (as the food drops were called) the RAF used heavy bombers for this--perhaps there is more information to be found?
    once again thanks for taking time to reply.
    alan P Nottingham UK

kc1
    ?

It might of been more of a private effort, it was common knowledge that people were starving in Holland at this time and the East Indies/indonesia were a Dutch colony at the time. The nearest similarity to this idea was from the Berlin airlift when aircrew dropped sweets and toys by hankerchief sized parachutes (homemade) to children who waited at the end of the runway or under the approach flight path. There was a pathe news reel made of this, its around somewhere.

Thank you for taking the time KC1