Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tail Rudder of a ME110 with kills.

Article about: Hi, a tail rudder of a Messerschmitt 109 showing its many kills, seemed to be very successful in 1944, currently on show The Imperial War Museum London.

Adam its not the same fin,this one has been in the IWM for years,and yes it is off Wolfgang Schnaufer's ME110.

Wow now that is a great piece of history, if I was a millionare it would be hanging on my wall!!

?

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Wow now that is a great piece of history, if I was a millionare it would be hanging on my wall!!
    This is why people like us never become millionaires- we "invest" our money in useless crap

Impressive kills, but, unfortunately, they represent just that-Kills. Such a skilled pilot must have been responsible for many an Allied airman's death...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Yup all night fighter kills i understand!...
    The only role the 110 could survive in late in the war ( and in fact excelled in )

Any wonder when many of the G-series night fighters were fitted with the Schräge Musik guns, firing upward at an angle for shooting down bombers while passing underneath. Also some sported the Bordkanone series 37 mm auto-fed cannon, mounted in a ventral gun pod under the fuselage. A single hit from which was usually enough to destroy any Allied bomber.

talk about a "sleeper"!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Adam M View Post
    I have been following this item ever since I saw go up for auction, its recently sold for £90000. Glad to see it when to a museum.

Here are some photos of the pilot it belonged to, and his plane. Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer (second left) in the photo with Hitler.
    Very nice item!!! And very popular photo! First from left is Erich Hartmann! The man who shot down 345 USSR and 7 US planes!

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Yes, saw that myself last Sunday as well as the big bronze eagle from the Riechskanzlei.
    Say, we nearly met: I visited the museum last Saturday.

luftwaffe1940david
    ?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    Adam its not the same fin,this one has been in the IWM for years,and yes it is off Wolfgang Schnaufer's ME110.
    I looked into the three tail fin situation also, as it confused the hell out of me when I saw the recent auction photos. I had seen one fin in the IWM in 1998 and I knew we still had another fin in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. So how do you end up with three tail fins from one aeroplane? From memory, the answer is they are not from the same planes. Schnaufer apparently lent the plane, which the recently auctioned tail fin came from, to another pilot who was consequently shot down that night. The two fins in the IWM and the Australian War Memorial are from a second plane captured later and cut up.

Incredible.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, saw that myself last Sunday as well as the big bronze eagle from the Riechskanzlei. Not a lot of German kit other that that. I was hoping for a bit more than I saw but then I guess there is more to war than just ww.2 German kit.
    D
    A lot of the items were shipped out to other museums around the country while the museum was extended for the WW1 exhibitions I believe. I would recommend a trip to IWM Duxford if you would like another trip over

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast